Discuss Building Control - Extract fan with filter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all.

Note sure about this one:

I have a job of new circuits to install for a new domestic extension - nothing fancy.

It has a ensuite shower / toilet on the new install, 2 walls of the en-suite are internal to the extension, 1 wall backs on to next doors extension (touching), and the final wall backs on to the shared car garage - also note the en-suite has no windows.
It has been deemed that an extract fan is required but the location and varous access/space restrictions dictate it to go in only one position - which is on the wall (Zone 2) which backs on to the shared garage where the fan would be sending it's exhaust - not ideal. However this design principle has already been approved by the building controller on the grounds that the fan "has a filter on it".

Now the part in which I am getting stuck is trying to spec the correct fan for the job, both suitable for zone 2 and with built in filters - but the internet does not appear to reveal much options with regards to additional option of filtration.
Has anyone has this scenerio before and familiar with any makes of fan for the job?
Could I get away with a off the shelf zone 2 fan and stick some filter media in the discharge grille on the garage side?

Before anyone asks, I cannot go up and over with in-line fans as the ceiling timbers make this particular option unachievable.

Any suggestions anyone will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

Either duct through the garage and out of the external wall or up into the loft and out through a tile vent.

I don’t see how filters could be a sensible option as they won’t remove the steam from the extracted air and are unlikely to be cleaned or replaced as necessary in a domestic setting.

Venting steam into the garage will lead to a damp and mouldy garage

Through the ceiling and if needed use the round to rectangle ducting adaptor to run the ducting between joists and the new ceiling if space is an issue. Can then exit at a more convenient position.

Sounds like the building inspector is out of his depth.

Its not the best idea to extract into the garage, if the garage is the only solution then best to go duct through the garage to an outside wall, as mentioned.
To comply with Part B your have to also put a fire collar in ( this needs to be accessible ) with some kind of fire boarding around it. If the garage is colder (outside the thermal envelope) then the extension, your also need to insulate the duct work or your get condensation.

You should also acess the property to choose a fan suitable flow rates for the property, if you then put a filter on the fan will just restrict airflow, which will probably make it inadequate, then of course you wont comply with Part F and your get a call back in 6 months as they will have mouldy bathroom and a damp garage.

Sure the the building inspector has read all the approved documents

Maybe you could just have a grill and ducting into the garage then have a high power inline fan mounted at high level in the garage itself with further ducting from that to outside. It could be insulated and boxed in within the garage.

Reply to Building Control - Extract fan with filter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net