Discuss Buried junction boxes regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks mate, seems odd though, but I don't make the rules, so in conclusion, for it to be a truly MF joint both box and connectors have to be MF?
Sort of. It's maybe the enclosure rather than the connectors which are certified "MF" - but that certification only applies when used with the specified connectors (in this case Wago connectors in the WagoBox). I suppose it's down to how the unit was when it was granted MF certification. So to use something else inside it would negate that.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I have contacted WAGO direct about their IP rated capsules and connectors to make sure they carry the BS5733 marking and the MF logo. If they confirm, I'll place an order with them.

I do wonder if an empty box has to have a particular specification to meet MF spec, and what that may be, or whether it's more to do with the type of conductor securing methods utlised inside that deem it's suitability.

Regards

Rodger

I do wonder if an empty box has to have a particular specification to meet MF spec, and what that may be, or whether it's more to do with the type of conductor securing methods utlised inside that deem it's suitability.

Regards

Rodger

Hi Rodger - the MF logo is seen on the box (if it's an approved one) but for the joint to be 5733 rated as MF, it must have been standards tested and approved as a unit, i.e. connectors and box tested together. So a Wago MF marked box does not make a MF accessory when used with Wago 221 connector for example, as this connector is not yet certified as MF, afaik.

Last edited:
So technically even the wago capsule can't be rated as MF since it isn't supplied with connectors.

Reply from wago

Hi Rodger, The Wagobox-Capsule is an adaptable enclosure so you need to cut holes to fit glands to suit the cable you want to use. Consequently BS 5733 MF isn't an applicable standard for this type of enclosure. Bear in mind that the Wagobox-Capsule is designed to be maintainable solution for applications like garden lighting. It can be shallow buried with the appropriate glands but is not intended for deep buried permanent joint applications where you would more typically use a resin filled joint. Hope this feedback is helpful. Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you would like to discuss this further. 01353 666011.

Yes, I think posts 26 and 27 are correct. With my tin hat firmly in place, I try my best to avoid underground cable joints in domestics, as it's usually a cost/time vs longevity. But if necessary to effect a repair I use a resin filled underground cable kit something like these below.

http://www.screwflix..com/p/prysmia...tracking url&gclid=CKGOl9W27tACFcy17Qodd7YIHQ

Yeah, I've pretty much resigned myself to using resin joints. Of course, I need the T or Y branch sort which seem to have attached quite the price increase compared to the straight through type. Just my luck.

Yeah, I've pretty much resigned myself to using resin joints. Of course, I need the T or Y branch sort which seem to have attached quite the price increase compared to the straight through type. Just my luck.

If you are Teeing off in flex use a through joint . Drill a small hole in the top of the jointing kit for the flex . The resin will seal the hole .

Not sure about the Prysmian ones but have witnessed two 'Y' resin joints from the wholesaler which were a complete mare, cheap flimsy case with no cable retention whilst performing terminations, so little space to get stuff arranged and such awkward terminations. Then you tape the ends up to hold the resin whilst it sets. Unbelievable really.

Not sure about the Prysmian ones but have witnessed two 'Y' resin joints from the wholesaler which were a complete mare, cheap flimsy case with no cable retention whilst performing terminations, so little space to get stuff arranged and such awkward terminations. Then you tape the ends up to hold the resin whilst it sets. Unbelievable really.

I think you have correctly described them :eek:

I
Thanks mate, seems odd though, but I don't make the rules, so in conclusion, for it to be a truly MF joint both box and connectors have to be MF?
think if the joints are maintenance free but the enclosure wasn't,then that would soon render the 'maintenance free' joints as in need of maintenance, therefore all parts of the system will need to be maintenance free. A chain is as strong as its weakest link is the best analogy I can think of

Reply to Buried junction boxes regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock