Discuss Burnt out rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all, been called out to a campsite to a hook up that looks like a dalek. This hook up is supplied by 32a on 6mm 3 core swa and supply's a 40amp rcd and 2 c6 mcbs. The mcbs then feed 2 of the blue industrial 3 pin outlets. The rcd was burnt out through the side and knackered. I am going up there today to do a proper test and inspect but just after some advice about the burnt out rcd.

These plugs are only supposed to by for lighting in caravans so could the burn out be from overload or just a faulty rcd. I do not want to change the rcd until I have found a cause for the problem. Has this happened to anyone before. I know that this seems like an obvious question but I have had faulty rcds before but not a hole in the side of it.

If it is only on a C6 MCB then I would expect someone has been trying to use more power and tripped the RCD a lot perhaps causing the contact terminals to become corroded and therefore overheating the terminals to the point of melting the side out.

A melt on the side is usually down to a fault on the switch terminals inside the unit, a melt from the top is down to a poor termination of the cable.

The RCD is rated at 40 amps you say so I doubt very much you are having an overload issue, the C6 MCBs will tripp a long time before you damage that RCD even if both MCBs are being driven at maximum load.
There could be several reasons the RCD has burnt out

• Poor connection
  • Old RCD and as Richard said the internal points have burnt out
  • Could be environment. It's on a camp site as you said so you have temperature extremes, and possibly damp

Give the circuits(s) a good test and replace the RCD. See what the "pods" are pulling and see if the IP integrity is good.

Thanks for the replys, water ingress could be an issue, and the unit looks pretty old. I will give it a full test when I go up there tonight and hopefully solve the issue .

Evening all, been called out to a campsite to a hook up that looks like a dalek. This hook up is supplied by 32a on 6mm 3 core swa and supply's a 40amp rcd and 2 c6 mcbs. The mcbs then feed 2 of the blue industrial 3 pin outlets. The rcd was burnt out through the side and knackered. I am going up there today to do a proper test and inspect but just after some advice about the burnt out rcd.

These plugs are only supposed to by for lighting in caravans so could the burn out be from overload or just a faulty rcd. I do not want to change the rcd until I have found a cause for the problem. Has this happened to anyone before. I know that this seems like an obvious question but I have had faulty rcds before but not a hole in the side of it.
I am looking at a Rolec C16 RCD just replaced ,a similar use to above and I am wondering if the custormer/user on site held the trip switch up?

I am looking at a Rolec C16 RCD just replaced ,a similar use to above and I am wondering if the custormer/user on site held the trip switch up?
7 year old thread, mate.

Start a new thread if you have a new question.

(But I would say, yes, customer may have held switch up until it’s stuck)

Never come across a MCB (or RCD) that can be held on against a fault.
I have… on our caravan park
One customer jammed the switch with a pen lid, another superglued it.
Weirdest was one guy that the changed the 16A to a 32…. Cut the toggles off the switches and glued it to the other… so a quick glance, it was the same colour. (The 16s had a blue switch, 32 possibly red)

Every one of them got a stern letter, explaining the dangers, and an eviction notice.

Reply to Burnt out rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock