Discuss Butchery at it's best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, it's one thing to get a "bit of a nip" when your on the ground......nice bit of safe isolation there too, don't you just love em?

The IR might be very good indeed, many rubber cables were better than PVC when new and are sometimes still better. I have an almost complete drum of lead-sheathed twin from the 1930s that measures off the scale of my MFT at 500V. We're used to rubber that has been exposed to the elements, when it's in a metal sheath like BX or lead it's often quite well preserved. The problem is that it sometimes does fail anyway and it can be difficult to predict how soon that might be.

I had a section of rubber cable,probably installed in one of my properties,between 1937 and the 50's,which had IR tested quite admirably,but on physical handling,crumbled both the sheath and insulation.

I have had rubber cable fitted to machinery and plant,from the same period,and it was perfectly serviceable- as anyone who owns a 1940's Austin champ jeep will know :)

Reply to Butchery at it's best in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello Everyone. I'm surprised this subject does not get much attention. 'The elephant in the room' I refer to is the 'new rubber'. On new...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Im quoting to install an EV charger (Dont worry - fully registered, but only been 2 weeks so i'm still picking bits up). Consumer unit...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I guess most of you have seen some moving spirals in some fluorescent lamps. Not sure if there's a better description for that, but with...
Replies
Views
If it wasn't for the silly bit about Micc at the end this was the perfect sales pitch for harmonized flat cable
Replies
Views
Thinking of getting a Runpotec XB300 cable dispenser, as my yellow framed tripod thing is unsatisfactory for all the usual reasons. You can...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock