Discuss Butt connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm replacing CU in another location, some cables will require extending.
My first thought was maintenance free junctions boxes under floor, but then I thought butt connectors are maintenance free, so maybe use these.
Can I just use butt connectors, any issues with this?

Thanks,

I've not started job yet, but 9 circuits total, probably need to extend about 5.
I'd use butt connectors inside CU, extending circuits maintenance free junction boxes. Just not had to move CU yet, other than full rewire.

I've not started job yet, but 9 circuits total, probably need to extend about 5.
I'd use butt connectors inside CU, extending circuits maintenance free junction boxes. Just not had to move CU yet, other than full rewire.

Recently done one where I had to move a CU with 16 circuits about 9 meters . I pulled the floor up above and managed to pull back the cables and re route them to the new position. Out of the 16 circuits had to extend 4 circuits, 2 lighting and 2 power. I used hager J803's Ashley J803 Maintenance Free Junction Box 32A 3 Terminal - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html
IMO quicker than crimping and heat sleeving conductors/cables.

Inside the CU I would use push fit splice connectors.
Outside the CU for extending circuit cables MF junction boxes are probably the easiest and also allow later modifications if required.
However using (my preference, heat shrink) crimps and over sleeving with (glue lined) heat shrink is acceptable as a maintenance free alternative. Handy if you have limited space but not handy if you have limited access.

Yeah, that's exact one I've used previously. Just seems a bit bulky having 5 in one place. Also need solution for 6mm.
Does a multi-way MF box exist?

I'm also using Wago as preference (space permitting).

Hi Michael, if you want MF Wago solution, you will struggle to fit more than one cct in a box IMHO. The approved MF Wagobox is not big. Cheers, David

I'm just a little surprised wago etc. have not added a solution to their portfolio. All they need to do is glue 4 boxes together and make it a bit deeper, sorted..................
After much pondering of a DIY solution, I agree Hager MF looks best way to go.

But I'll need wago red connector for 6mm

Also found this in wago description, which seems to suggest you can't use butt connectors unless you also put in a box.

Should WAGO connectors be used in an enclosure?
In order to comply with the requirements of the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations/BS7671, all connectors should be used in a suitable enclosure of material complying with the relevant glow-wire test requirements of BS 458-2.1. (Fire hazard testing for electrotechnical products). This will provide
mechanical protection for the connectors as well as protection against dust, damp and accidental damage. Although WAGO connectors are IP20 (finger touch) with Polyamide 6.6 housing for strength and durability.

If you do some research on this forum, you'll see this subject discussed re the 'MF issue'. In fact Wago do not manufacture the 'Wago Box', this manufactured by Maintenance Free Junction Box | Wagobox | Connexbox - https://www.connexbox.com/, who have acquired the approved MF rating for the box itself.

Connexbox also manufacture a plastic enclosure with an internal din rail; DRE-3v1 DIN Rail Enclosure - https://www.connexbox.com/shop/wagobox-and-din-rail-enclosures/dre-3v1-din-rail-enclosure.html
for use with Wago Topjob rail mounted connectors.

They used to publicise this product to be used for extending final circuits, when relocating CU. I see now that advertising is no longer used with that product. I contacted my scheme - Elecsa - over a year ago, about using this 'plastic' enclosure in relation to reg. 421.1.201, and was told it did not comply. This somewhat irked Connexbox, but as I say the photos have now been removed from their site.

I keep meaning to email Elecsa again, about this sort of installation, now that the dust has settled on reg 421.1.201.

Hi - if you are meaning the Wago ones? They are MF marked and strain relief is provided by an insert in the cable entrance way.

i have put wagos into a metal enclosure mounted on a wooden plate clipped externally to blank gromit or compression gland. this meets all regulations and provides a maintenance free joint that can be accessed under a floor at a later date if needed. just make sure you identify all cables. future proofing the addition of works.

Reply to Butt connectors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net