Discuss buzzing led problem , thinking of using lower watt bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
i put in a ring of 12 leds in a room (too many in reality)

put in a good dimmer meant to be able take load but lights causing horrible buzz

i am currently using 5w bulbs

if i replace the bulbs for 3w should that reduce the load and stop the buzzing, trying this before having to take lights out of the ceiling and all the work

thanks

These lamps need a trailing edge dimmer as opposed to the older leading edge dimmers that control incandescent lighting.
Strangely even though dimmable LED lighting is being pushed by the likes of B&Q and Homebase, I was browsing at the weekend in Homebase and noticed that they did not have any trailing edge dimmers, they were all leading edge.

LEDs will never dim completely off (although some specific LED drivers can get them closer). Does the dimmer have a specified minimum load? Reducing the load might actually make it worse.

The Varilight V-Pro is generally a good quality dimmer. It does state in the instructions, that the maximum LED load is 120watt, so your set up should be okay. Have you tried the other 'modes', to see if that improves things?

What makes are the LED lamps?

PS; where is the buzzing noise coming from, lamps or dimmer?

Last edited:
will try the programming ... LAP screwfix bulbs .. probably the problem but they dont buzz everywhere just where there are more on the gang

LAP aren't a particularly good make, don't understand your last bit? Is the buzzing very audible, I had a customer said one of the two dimmers I had installed was buzzing louder than the other. But I had to put my ear to it, to hear the difference!

Dimmers do make some noise. If it is the dimmer, perhaps get it swapped.

we have the same dimmers and bulbs across whole install , audible buzzing just on a coupel or rooms that have the most number of lights attached to one switch .. if each room buzzed i thought something wrong with set up .. i assume cheap bulbs are the problem but dont want to shell out for expensive ones and still have the buzzing, i have changed lap lights once as there was a fire risk with the original set which screwfix chnaged .. do i take one light out at a time to see if buzzing drops away if 10 * 5 w doesnt buzz but adding 2 more cause buzz then should 12*3w be a better solution ..

buzzing is very audible, sounds like it is coming from bulbs
I haven't heard this before, but I'm tempted to say loose connection or loose construction of the fitting. If it is actually the bulb, try a different make perhaps?

Weirdly i have had this problem occur twice and both times ( although the wattage had not exceeded the maximum on the dimmer ) the dimmer said no more than ten LEDs to be fitted on dinmer. After splitting the 12/14 LEDs in half into two switch wires and adding another dimmer sw the buzzing was gone.

Ever since I had an issue with buzzing and flickering I now only fit Varilight V Pro dimmers for LED downlights. Not had any problems since but the clients often have issues with the cost (£45+).

if i had 12 leds on a 10 maximum dimmer, if i took the bulbs out of two sockets, would the dimmer think there was 10 bulbs working ? does anyone know of any blanking plates / covers that can go on top of or in the empty downlighter ?

Reducing the load will not help.
Get some decent downlights.
As mentioned above, LAP is not the way to success.

yes 2 way silent trailing edge 250w dimmers led .. varilight v pro .. lights wills dim not to full off and dimming increases the buzzing if that means anything

What happens in the different modes for the varilight v pro? The TLC LED’s only dim 30% in the default mode and they need mode 3 to dim to maximum available whereas Phillips dimmable GU10 dim fully in the default mode which surprised me. It may solve the buzz as well although that may be the bulbs.
Also, we are talking about GU10 not MR16 bulbs?

Reply to buzzing led problem , thinking of using lower watt bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock