Discuss Buzzung dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
had a look round a friends where there's x8 12v down-lights witch all have individual 20-60va dimmable electronic transformers,
these lights are switched by a 400w GET dimmer switch which buzz's quite loudly when they are dimmed but works fine if the switch is fully on
you can also hear some buzzing coming from the transformers themselves.

i've checked all the joint box's for loose connections
replaced the 50w lamps to 35w lamps
changed the dimmer switch to a 400w IQ dimmer which buzzed even more loudly and also tried a 650w aurora switch,

still it continues to buzz loudly at low levels, the only other thing i can think of doing is to split the circuit into 2 and add another dimmer so 4light per switch,

anyone else have any idea how to solve this issue?

when adding up wattage for the dimmer i just add up all the lamp ratings e.g 35x8= 280w but read somewhere that you should add up the va rating of all the transformers is this true?

thanks chris

Are the transformers electronic? If they are they may specifically need a leading or trailing edge dimmer to operate them correctly. Refer to the manufacturers website or check with you wholesaler would be my advice.

in the past i had a dimmer buzzing problem like this, and the only way i eventually cured it was the final resort of changing to fitting better quality transformers (osram)

Reply to Buzzung dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

As I tried to summarize in the title, I'm having an interesting buzzing issue in a residential home. Problem: When Lights are turned on, all 3...
Replies
Views
Recently moved into a new home and replaced the main light fitting in the sitting room. We replaced it with this dimmable LED fitting: ENDON...
Replies
Views
Morning chaps! Advice needed please. Is there a tried and tested combination of manufacturer(s) for reducing the annoying buzz from dimmer...
Replies
Views
Hi All. New member. I have a perplexing issue which I am hoping someone might be able to help with. I have two suspension lights which are...
Replies
Views
Hi there! I just replaced my kitchen light with the following and all was fine: Wickes Kazbah 4 Bar Spotlight - 4 x 50W | Wickes.co.uk -...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock