Discuss Bypassed Door Entry System in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ridethelightning

I wonder if anyone can help me concerning an apparently compromised Videx audio intercom door entry system please? The system has a problem in that unauthorised people (e.g. leaflet droppers) without keys/codes/being 'buzzed' in are letting themselves into a block of flats by doing *something* to the doorbell/intercom pad below. There is no 'tradesman's entrance' and none of the buttons open the door at any time merely by pressing them in the usual manner.

Bypassed Door Entry System {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Here is one example of footage showing what seems to be going on: http://tinypic.com/r/11h43lw/9

Does anyone have any idea how they are doing this and what needs to be done to stop it? Has this chap got a device of some sort perhaps? I wonder if the system's electrical supply can, in some way, be interrupted such that it momentarily releases the lock? Everyone seen doing this is already pulling on the door as they do whatever they do. We really need to work out how to stop it from happening, even if it means a whole new system needs to be installed.

I am not an electrician but it really has everyone baffled. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Does it have access control prox readers nearby? I worked at a hospital a couple of years ago (which I won't name for security reasons) where we were commissioning a fire alarm system, one man at the panel and one out in the field using two way radios. We discovered that keying your radio near one of their prox readers released the access control door.

I'm not saying they are carrying walkie talkies but it maybe they have found some unconventional method of releasing the doors.

Maybe not the place to be speculating on this type of thing.

Thanks charlie76 but I don't think there is such a reader on the keypad that is being used to access the building. There might be on the keypad just on the right actually, so there could be something in that but everyone entering seems to be pressing or using something on the 'doorbell pad' in the pic above.

Ruston: fair point and I don't want to create speculation etc... but given the number of people seen using it, it seems to be a relatively widespread method that needs to be protected against, if possible.

I would contact the manufacturers with your concerns, it's possible they have a software update they can do if this a a widespread issue.

Can members be cautious as regards of known issues as this is in public view, if you have any sensitive information for the OP then start a private conversation as opposed to posting it for all to see.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Yes, check in with the manufacturer to get their experience. Often times it is a simple human thing - tailgating or some such. CCTV will answer this. To record wildlife I understand folks use a camouflaged battery powered motion activated camera to good effect. Sometimes the wildlife makes off with it though, I'm told.

Not sure how to describe it really but here is a pic:

Bypassed Door Entry System {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It is unlocked by key and also phone intercoms/buzzers from within each flat (so you don't have to physically go to the door). I assume it is fail-safe so it unlocks if power fails.

what if they are just pressing a few call buttons at random and one of the tenants buzzes them in?

Thanks. That would certainly explain it, but unfortunately we know that isn't the case as we can always hear any buzzing in, plus it all happens too quickly for someone to be going to the door release in their flat and letting them in. We're sure they are doing something to panel and letting themselves in. Maybe something that causes the same effect as 'buzzing' in, circumventing the system or using some sort of device. Just can't work it out.

If the Unauthorised people are getting in to drop leaflets in individual letterboxes, which presumably are the other side of the locked door, how does the Royal Mail Postman get in?

Correct, they are the other side of the locked door. Postmen get in via an access code on a different panel at the bottom right of the pic of the panel, but these guys don't seem to touch that, just the doorbell panel.

Actually, I see the video I posted showing what we can see them doing has been removed. Apologies if I shouldn't have posted it.

Basically they are doing something, perhaps around the middle of doorbell keypad. Very quick movement using a couple of fingers/maybe with a device and then in.

but these guys don't seem to touch that, just the doorbell panel.

Are you sure about that.
They could have the Postmans code and are doing a bit of misdirection to cover what they do.

What have the Unauthorised people been doing or what have they to gain by getting past the outer door.?

The release for the lock is usually in the frame, they do wear out like any other mechanical device.

There is a keyhole camera above the keypad (but you can't see the actual keypad numbers on camera). We ran down and asked one guy once, only to get a load of verbal abuse. Will certainly try again if we get another opportunity but, yeah, I agree that would certainly solve the problem! We also tried to call one of the takeaway places but got nowhere, don't want to know it seems.

Are you sure about that.
They could have the Postmans code and are doing a bit of misdirection to cover what they do.

What have the Unauthorised people been doing or what have they to gain by getting past the outer door.?

The release for the lock is usually in the frame, they do wear out like any other mechanical device.

Yeah, it was on the video link that was removed, they don't seem to go anywhere near the posties code pad. I guess they could be cleverly deceiving us somehow. Code compromise is certainly a possibility.

Thanks for info re the lock/frame. Worth us checking that out.

Reply to Bypassed Door Entry System in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock