Discuss Bypassed Meter and DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DurhamSparky

View attachment 11638View attachment 11639View attachment 11640View attachment 11641View attachment 11642View attachment 11643View attachment 11644View attachment 11645View attachment 11646View attachment 11647

handful of joyful pics....!!

any way!

went to change CU, Do earthing ETC and what do i find lurking in the Meter under a sealed lid (sealed by NEDL) yup a nice piece of twisted copper.... grub screws missing and heat damage to the meter enclosure...!!

PAP!!! ive pulled the fuse and cut all seal.... oh well stand by for -------ing from NEDL and E-On

any way i ring NEDL and conversation goes a little like this

ME-Hi blah blah blah, ive pulled your fuse on a upgrade job due to damage to CU and consumer tails...!
NEDL-oh right what's the address... blah blah blah, so you pulled fuse and discovered a meter bypass etc..
ME- Yes that correct, i need the supplier info so i can contact them as meter is damaged due to there interference.
NEDL- Yes that fine, E-On on blah blah blah...
ME-what about the main fuse i pulled and cut seals..
NEDL-Are you a registered electrician...
ME- Yes... im with Elecsa
NEDL- Thats fine, you did what you needed to do so don't worry.
ME- So you turn a blind eye to electricians carrying out works that require disconnection.
NEDL- In a roundabout way as there is no way in ensuring safe isolation. only registered electricians though so we have traceability.
ME.... PHEW...!

Meter Plus Revenue Protection engineer came out less than an hour later after ringing E-ON and installed new meter, installed an isolator i provided and resealed up supplier side and thanked me for my assistance.

we had a bit of chit chat as we bumped in to each other on another job i did where tenant took a sledge hammer to equipment on leaving his house.. lol, he gave me direct office number for future reference. he also told me that as long as a registered electrician carry s out work they not overly bothered about resealing equipment at next site visit.

i was even asked if i could forward my findings to the office for investigation and got a big thank you!

AT LAST SOME SENSE FROM A DNO AND SUPPLIER!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So how did the meter bypass get behind a sealed cover? Did NEDL seal it without checking what was inside?

Anyway, yes - nice to know they take a pragmatic approach!

I've got to call SSE again tomorrow about a some tails that look like they have been eaten by a mouse. I wonder if they will let me cut the seals and sort it.....

the meter was sealed back in November when they reinserted the main cut out fuse as that was also stolen when previous tennats left...!

think engineer just whipped some tags on and left with out checking...! .... LOL

It would have been a bit churlish had they created about you pulling the fuse. It’s you that’s done them a great service.
Wonder how long that little DIY job would have lasted.

well as you can see its been slowely burning away!!

the meter had £260 debt ran up...!! that shows how long its been going!! £2.48 collection rate for service rent x weeks = 104 2YEARS!!!

Since picking up useful tips like this on the open forum over the last year, my bypass is holding up very well.

Held up on a few bypasses lately.........bloody traffic causes many a heart attack.

Is that a 6mm on a 50A MCB? lol.

We used to see stuff like this all the time when working on behalf of the council in leeds. I once saw a standard 'billed' meter stolen from a downstairs flat, and fitted to the supply of the upstairs flat....Both meters were in the same Meter box outside, and the old credit meter for the upstairs flat was no where to be seen lol

Yes 6mm on 50A!!

it was removed !!! fitted by a Part P spark!! bull shizer!! seen as the state the power was in especially no earth bond to gas or actual main earth for that matter lol...!

So how did the meter bypass get behind a sealed cover? Did NEDL seal it without checking what was inside?

Anyway, yes - nice to know they take a pragmatic approach!

I've got to call SSE again tomorrow about a some tails that look like they have been eaten by a mouse. I wonder if they will let me cut the seals and sort it.....

SSE are fine with cutting seals (if you are registered with part P scheme) - just need to phone their metering department after you've done it. 08457 444 555

Yes 6mm on 50A!!

it was removed !!! fitted by a Part P spark!! bull shizer!! seen as the state the power was in especially no earth bond to gas or actual main earth for that matter lol...!
we had one a while back up harehills in leeds where they had removed the main earthing cable and used that to bridge the meter..lol.....obviously rendering the installation without a means of earthing apart from extrainious..lol......needles to say the bullit was pulled by us and the letting agent, DNO and energy supplier were informed......we had another n all....just bare cable used as the bridge......it was in a cupboard though....so i guess it was alright??.....lol...

i come accross them "very regular" 4-5 a year!! easy! mainly all on the same stock of rental housing from one landlord..!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 11638View attachment 11639View attachment 11640View attachment 11641View attachment 11642View attachment 11643View attachment 11644View attachment 11645View attachment 11646View attachment 11647

handful of joyful pics....!!

any way!

went to change CU, Do earthing ETC and what do i find lurking in the Meter under a sealed lid (sealed by NEDL) yup a nice piece of twisted copper.... grub screws missing and heat damage to the meter enclosure...!!

PAP!!! ive pulled the fuse and cut all seal.... oh well stand by for -------ing from NEDL and E-On

any way i ring NEDL and conversation goes a little like this

ME-Hi blah blah blah, ive pulled your fuse on a upgrade job due to damage to CU and consumer tails...!
NEDL-oh right what's the address... blah blah blah, so you pulled fuse and discovered a meter bypass etc..
ME- Yes that correct, i need the supplier info so i can contact them as meter is damaged due to there interference.
NEDL- Yes that fine, E-On on blah blah blah...
ME-what about the main fuse i pulled and cut seals..
NEDL-Are you a registered electrician...
ME- Yes... im with Elecsa
NEDL- Thats fine, you did what you needed to do so don't worry.
ME- So you turn a blind eye to electricians carrying out works that require disconnection.
NEDL- In a roundabout way as there is no way in ensuring safe isolation. only registered electricians though so we have traceability.
ME.... PHEW...!

Meter Plus Revenue Protection engineer came out less than an hour later after ringing E-ON and installed new meter, installed an isolator i provided and resealed up supplier side and thanked me for my assistance.

we had a bit of chit chat as we bumped in to each other on another job i did where tenant took a sledge hammer to equipment on leaving his house.. lol, he gave me direct office number for future reference. he also told me that as long as a registered electrician carry s out work they not overly bothered about resealing equipment at next site visit.

i was even asked if i could forward my findings to the office for investigation and got a big thank you!

AT LAST SOME SENSE FROM A DNO AND SUPPLIER!!!

Excellant. Sounds like some of our Scottish logic is finally filtering south :)

Yes 6mm on 50A!!

As big as 6mm? Slightly different tangent but I did some work for a mate at work, there was a 50A CB in his CU didn't think a lot of it until I opened the CU. 2.5mm run which turned out ran outside some 20 odd meters to a summer house, to DB2 2 x 16A CB and 1 x 6A CB. One of 16A fed DB3 in another shed 10 mtrs further on with a further 16A and 6A. Apparently his father-in-law was a retired sparky and it should be fine.

Reply to Bypassed Meter and DNO in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock