Discuss Bypassing main fuse. Anyone else seen this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,

I was doing an eicr in a flat today, it came to checking the main service fuse.
Fuse pulled I proceeded to undo the case to check the amperage and was a little shocked with seeing a metal bar essentially bypassing the fuse(pics attached).
After a little thought I guess there is another fuse down below removing the need for a second fuse.

Anyone else seen this before and know the name of the part used? Or is this a one off

57EECE23-0BA1-47B1-9C92-9B007ADA45E9.jpeg
DE958100-D52B-405F-B995-BFEB69E116C7.jpeg

Gonna report you if you send this highly informative thread off course:D
Sorry Sir, you're right Sir, won't happen again Sir, promise Sir

For any standard electrical work including EICRs: It should not be common practice, it is not required, it is illegal, it is dangerous, to pull the fuse.
In this case luckily he has not pulled the fuse as it is just a link!
Just as dangerous though.
Where there are two service heads in series on the single supply it is redundant to have a second fuse so a link is used instead at the downstream service head.

Evening all,

I was doing an eicr in a flat today, it came to checking the main service fuse.
Fuse pulled I proceeded to undo the case to check the amperage and was a little shocked with seeing a metal bar essentially bypassing the fuse(pics attached).
After a little thought I guess there is another fuse down below removing the need for a second fuse.

Anyone else seen this before and know the name of the part used? Or is this a one off

Oh dear oh dear.

So you’re a DIYer carrying out an eicr and you don’t even know what a red cutout link is???

Clearly you are not competent to carry out an EICR if you don’t know something as basic as this! If you don’t even know the difference between a fuse and a disconnect link do you know the difference between left and right?

Oh dear oh dear.

So you’re a DIYer carrying out an eicr and you don’t even know what a red cutout link is???

Clearly you are not competent to carry out an EICR if you don’t know something as basic as this! If you don’t even know the difference between a fuse and a disconnect link do you know the difference between left and right?
diplomatic as ever, dave. :D:D:D.

maybe we could get him elected as our Brexit representative. that'll sort them europe federalists out.

For any standard electrical work including EICRs: It should not be common practice, it is not required, it is illegal, it is dangerous, to pull the fuse.
In this case luckily he has not pulled the fuse as it is just a link!
Just as dangerous though.
Where there are two service heads in series on the single supply it is redundant to have a second fuse so a link is used instead at the downstream service head.

Just in case.................I was joking!

I've found 200 Amp fuse in the suppliers fuse holder in a domestic installation. Probably followed the logic of if a fuse blows fit a bigger one. Since both the EIC and EICR require one to state the type and rating of the fuse, how can you be sure it is as expected, without removing and opening the fuse holder ?

Reply to Bypassing main fuse. Anyone else seen this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net