Discuss Bypassing PIR and installing switch query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SparkyAndGeorge

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys hope to hear some suggestions from your fine selves. I have been asked to bypass 3 PIR sensors in an office and install a standard 1g switch. On closer inspection it appears the PIR's have cat5 cable running to and from them into some sort of control module where the light fitting are connected to via the plug and play connectors. Has anyone ever worked on one of these systems and can anyone throw some advice or suggestions on how this could be achieved? Many thanks, any advice much appreciated!

DSC_0024[1].JPG

DSC_0023[1].JPG

DSC_0022[1].JPG

DSC_0021[1].JPG

Hi guys hope to hear some suggestions from your fine selves. I have been asked to bypass 3 PIR sensors in an office and install a standard 1g switch. On closer inspection it appears the PIR's have cat5 cable running to and from them into some sort of control module where the light fitting are connected to via the plug and play connectors. Has anyone ever worked on one of these systems and can anyone throw some advice or suggestions on how this could be achieved? Many thanks, any advice much appreciated!

View attachment 46872

View attachment 46873

View attachment 46874

View attachment 46875
Perhaps the company who make the system produce switches using the same Ethernet interface?

Lots of the forum members have worked with Dali style systems. I’m of the mind that they are programmed once set up but/and once the PIr modules are removed, as above, you should be able to fit a standard switch.
Interestingly, are the people working so slow that the lights are turning off? Take their chairs away!

Just a quick update, I have just got off the phone with the manufacturer (CP Automated Lighting is now owned by Legrand btw) . It is an addressable system so a light switch could be wired in, but it requires one of their engineers to attend with their laptop and they charge £595 + VAT per day. I think my client will soon change their mind once I tell them what may be involved!

Just a quick update, I have just got off the phone with the manufacturer (CP Automated Lighting is now owned by Legrand btw) . It is an addressable system so a light switch could be wired in, but it requires one of their engineers to attend with their laptop and they charge £595 + VAT per day. I think my client will soon change their mind once I tell them what may be involved!
To be fair as soon as you see an Ethernet cable going into a light fitting you knew that you would need a laptop not a screwdriver...but £595 + vat? The company probably pays the spark less than £20 an hour to do the work so that's how these company bosses drive brand new top spec range rover s and Mercedes

To be fair as soon as you see an Ethernet cable going into a light fitting you knew that you would need a laptop not a screwdriver...but £595 + vat? The company probably pays the spark less than £20 an hour to do the work so that's how these company bosses drive brand new top spec range rover s and Mercedes
Sparks don't know how to use laptops, he will be an integrated modular lighting design technician that was trained in a one day course in the office.

When I was an IT engineer the company I worked for subbed me out at £650 per day and that was over 20 ears ago, looks like prices are popping.......

Sparks don't know how to use laptops, he will be an integrated modular lighting design technician that was trained in a one day course in the office.
Not sure about that,any time I'm in the wholesalers they are often arguing about who has got the best software for certificates. It's 2019 and the new 'sparks don't use pens anymore

Reply to Bypassing PIR and installing switch query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net