Discuss Cable Behind Skirting Boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wandering what the view is on running a 2.5mm radial circuit behind a skirting board when it's fully protected by a new 17th ed. RCD protected CU.

thanks in advance

Neil

Do you mean running round the perimeter of the room behind the skirting or simply running up to the socket from floor level behind skirting.

I think one is fine

I think the other stinks.

My view is that this should not be done presuming you mean running the cable horizontally behind the skirting board to the next outlet. Behind the skirting board is NOT a designated safe zone and will be at risk of damage unless MECHANICALLY protected. RCD protection is ADDITIONAL protection only and should not be relied on as a sole method of protection.

:thumbsup

Do you mean as in zonal ....................... well as Trev said quite a lot of times cables come into sockets via skirting but that of course would be classed a zone due to the accessory.

Technically a skirting is not a zone

Yeah, we bought an ex-navy property, the installation is done in 20 mm steel conduit! Where would you find this nowadays?

IMO the area below a socket is a zone and cables can be ran up from below floor level STRAIGHT up to the outlet. The skirting around the room whether or not it is within 150mm of floor level is not a safe zone as the wood butchers will need to come along and put pointy things in it to fix it. I would not therefore run cables around the perimiter of a room behind skirting boards.
Rough as a badger's arse(as we say in the frozen north)
:)

Although i do have a quiery with this.. My brother is wanting skirting board lights.. (DONT ASK WHY! lol) but he has a solid floor.. Meaning im going to have to run cable from each light UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN to the ceiling and then to the light.. Thats alot of cable.. and alot of chasing! :p

Any way around this?

Although i do have a quiery with this.. My brother is wanting skirting board lights.. (DONT ASK WHY! lol) but he has a solid floor.. Meaning im going to have to run cable from each light UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN to the ceiling and then to the light.. Thats alot of cable.. and alot of chasing! :p

Any way around this?

Skirting trunking - probably get some nice looking stuff nowadays.

Any way around this?

Stick an accessory (ie lights) in there and you have created a safe zone vertically and horizontally so no issue, also the skirting board lights are low voltage. You can even purchase specially designed/constructed skirting for this sole purpose, GOOGLE is your friend :thumbsup

Reply to Cable Behind Skirting Boards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net