Discuss Cable calculation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as I am aware, the ESQCR prohibits the use of TN-C within an installation connected to the public network.
As such any connection to the PEN conductor is made outside of the installation.

If either of you two actually want to look at the Regs, you will note that TN-C is where all of the system uses a PEN conductor and TN-C-S is where a PEN conductor is used only in part of the system.
Where TN-C-S is used the part of the system that uses a PEN conductor is on the supply network.

This is really basic stuff.
I’m not surprised someone who believes a 100A switch will trip doesn’t understand, but I am suprised at Essex.

If either of you two actually want to look at the Regs, you will note that TN-C is where all of the system uses a PEN conductor and TN-C-S is where a PEN conductor is used only in part of the system.
Where TN-C-S is used the part of the system that uses a PEN conductor is on the supply network.

I’m not surprised someone who believes a 100A switch will trip doesn’t understand, but I am suprised at Essex.
I see where your coming from but lets say you loose your pen conductor at the very source from the transformer. Not at the point at which you make it a tncs when connecting your earth. But the very source. If that pen conductor goes down, where is your mean of earth?

No you cannot use a PEN conductor, just the same as you cannot use a PEN conductor in your house.
Doesn’t necessarily mean TT is the only option.

What really matters, is whether PME can be used.
In some circumstances it can be used, though it would be advisable to install an earthed metallic grid in the ground where livestock are to be kept.

No you cannot use a PEN conductor, just the same as you cannot use a PEN conductor in your house.
Doesn’t necessarily mean TT is the only option.

What really matters, is whether PME can be used.
In some circumstances it can be used, though it would be advisable to install an earthed metallic grid in the ground where livestock are to be kept.
I agree PME is the way to go, like you say especially if livestock can come into contact with the installation

A picture to help you.

46A9DBF5-18B0-45F7-8CB3-1D21A9C10495.jpeg

You are not using TN-C because the neutral and cpc are separate through the consumers installation.

The third letter means how the earth and neutral are linked at the transformer.

T = earth
N = Neutral
C = Combined.

This is true of both a TN-C and a TN-C-S. the S is for ‘seperate’ as the earth is then seperated from the neutral within the installation.

Reply to Cable calculation in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net