Discuss Cable calculations for pricing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

2pacaveli86

Ok guys it's back to school for me....

Since leaving college I have prided myself into thinking what a great electrician I am, only now that I am starting to take on my own projects from scratch it has become apparent that I am a little rusty on the theory side!

Turning up as a subby, no matter how good you are at getting a cable from A to B in its easiest and tidiest form does not entail much working out in regards to volt drop, resistivity and resistance, power factor and many more contributing factors as this has all been achieved by the main contractor.

I'm looking to be able to design circuits and use systems which are adequate for the job in hand rather than much more than is needed so I can try and bring overall costs down and make install easier.

Like I say it's back to school, I will dig out my old college stuff if I can find them but I was wondering if anyone knew of any courses or websites to help me achieve what I'm looking for. Would the design course benefit me?

In the mean time whilst I'm brushing up on my skills are there any apps or software out there that can work out everything I need if I just plonk values into them and let them do the hard work!

I'm pricing a job at the moment and it's a little bigger than my normal, on this occasion I'll go in safely but in future I'd like to be a bit more savvy :)

Any info at all will be much appreciated!

The "City & Guilds 2396" is the course for you. It will teach you everything you need to know about cable calculations.

several apps available for phones. if you look for any apps. entitled cablecalcs .most are free. exampls are draka, coopersoft, electromision, but i always do the calcs as well.

basically it's just 2 formulae:

Ib<In<Iz

and VD = mV/A/m x A x L ( answer in mV. divide by 1000 to get V)

so simple, you can do it in your head. no abacus required.

Reply to Cable calculations for pricing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net