Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Cable calculations for pricing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 2pacaveli86

2pacaveli86 EF Member

Ok guys it's back to school for me....

Since leaving college I have prided myself into thinking what a great electrician I am, only now that I am starting to take on my own projects from scratch it has become apparent that I am a little rusty on the theory side!

Turning up as a subby, no matter how good you are at getting a cable from A to B in its easiest and tidiest form does not entail much working out in regards to volt drop, resistivity and resistance, power factor and many more contributing factors as this has all been achieved by the main contractor.

I'm looking to be able to design circuits and use systems which are adequate for the job in hand rather than much more than is needed so I can try and bring overall costs down and make install easier.

Like I say it's back to school, I will dig out my old college stuff if I can find them but I was wondering if anyone knew of any courses or websites to help me achieve what I'm looking for. Would the design course benefit me?

In the mean time whilst I'm brushing up on my skills are there any apps or software out there that can work out everything I need if I just plonk values into them and let them do the hard work!

I'm pricing a job at the moment and it's a little bigger than my normal, on this occasion I'll go in safely but in future I'd like to be a bit more savvy :)

Any info at all will be much appreciated!

2. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

The "City & Guilds 2396" is the course for you. It will teach you everything you need to know about cable calculations.

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    several apps available for phones. if you look for any apps. entitled cablecalcs .most are free. exampls are draka, coopersoft, electromision, but i always do the calcs as well.

4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

YouTube can also be good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    basically it's just 2 formulae:

Ib<In<Iz

and VD = mV/A/m x A x L ( answer in mV. divide by 1000 to get V)

so simple, you can do it in your head. no abacus required.

6. 2pacaveli86

2pacaveli86 EF Member

Cheers for quick reply’s chaps, I’ll look into all avenues mentioned when time becomes available again!

7. MODECSOFT

MODECSOFT Electrical Design Software www.electricalom.com Sponsor

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    very nice, but it costs.OK for the bigger organisations, and for those of us that understand how to input data, unlike me what can't even use excell.

9. essex

essex Trusted Advisor

Trimble.

• Dislike Dislike x 1