Discuss Cable Caught Below Fridge Freezer Dangerous?? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi could anyone answer this for me. I fitted a new integrated fridge freezer in a kitchen unit. I just received a text from the customer saying that her husband looked under the kick board and seen that part of the fridge cable is trapped under the fridge and that this was dangerous and would need sorted asap.

I received the msg at about 8 on a saturday night so im annoyed to say the least. The kitchen was fitted to perfection and the fridge fitted in perfectly with no hastle. Obviously i will remove the cable from underneath as its not ideal and to keep them happy but surely its a bit dramatic to say that it was dangerous? The fridge freezer isnt all that heavy and i personally doubt how it can be at all dangerous?. Anyone have any thoughts as i fear the customer will have an unessary go at me. Im sure its not the first cable to get trapped under an integrated fridge.

Any thoughts appreciated

He took a picture of it. The only thing i can think off is as the fridge is screwed in it must be pinned between the bottom of the fridge freezer and the carcase. But surely that wouldnt be dangerous. Either that or hes scared to try pulling himself

I doubt there's anything wrong, it's probably just caught up, I doubt it's totally mashed, yes it probably could do with sorting but I don't think I'd loose sleep over it.

why were you fitting a fridge? Are you a secret kitchen fitter?

He took a picture of it. The only thing i can think off is as the fridge is screwed in it must be pinned between the bottom of the fridge freezer and the carcase. But surely that wouldnt be dangerous. Either that or hes scared to try pulling himself

Have you got the pic for us to see? Why was he looking anyway?

The cable will 100 % definately be in tact and not mashed in any way. If it was it would have all been live as soon as i pushed it in on top of the cable.
I havnt a pic handy its on my wifes phone and shes out. Is it something yous would see as an urgent problem or will it wait until im back on tuesday the fridge is not heavy and as its screwed in is not wearing at the cable

If it hasn't blown up by now then I doubt it ever will........not exactly a mobile piece of kit a screwed in fridge is it.

Yes hubby is what is known in the trade as a pain in the a### and unfortunately if you don't go back and do it he will have greatp leasure in telling everyone how bad you.

The fridge will vibrate in use, a trapped cable could cause a problem somewhere down the line.

But ultimately, someone has asked you to correct something they feel is unacceptable, get yourself round there and sort it out!

Reply to Cable Caught Below Fridge Freezer Dangerous?? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net