Discuss Cable dammage by drill in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

dpg2

-
Reaction score
Got a call today by a plumber and while drilling for pipe clips he went though a cable for a ring main what would be the best course of action to repair the cable in the wall.

Cheers all

Got a call today by a plumber and while drilling for pipe clips he went though a cable for a ring main what would be the best course of action to repair the cable in the wall.

Cheers all
Chop the wall out,cut the damaged bit of cable out and use thru crimps,sorted.Make sure you stagger the crimps.:D

We would try and pull a new piece of cable up the capping and use 30a j/bs.

Yes, really dont like this idea of through crimps in the wall, particularly now everything is controlled by RCD, much better to pull a new leg in if at all possible. If not then at least go for some self amalgamating tape on the crimps

Personally id chase the wall and run new cable with 30A JB's, crimps are not considered permanent connections so must be accessable for inspection

Sorry but crimps are not adequate on their own,all joints must be in a suitable enclosure and accessible for inspection. A short section of single insulated wire will be exposed,crimps do not fully insulate connections,so any dampness in the wall during or after making good could result in a voltage appearing on the wall. Crimps just plastered in the wall are not an option.

Hello Mac,

told by our assessor crimps are not perment connections but hey at the end of the day its all opinions, JB's above ceiling under floor boards - use armeg cutters of cut borad above or cut floor boards (but all depends on job which we havnt seen):confused:

Sorry but crimps are not adequate on their own,all joints must be in a suitable enclosure and accessible for inspection. A short section of single insulated wire will be exposed,crimps do not fully insulate connections,so any dampness in the wall during or after making good could result in a voltage appearing on the wall. Crimps just plastered in the wall are not an option.
agreed but if you crimp joint then seal it it is permissable to put the joint in the wall where it is inaccessable.

What would happen if the customer say tiles or decorates the area and the crimps break down, i would personally be far happier to know i have a j/b above and possibly below to be sure, to be sure.

Hello Mac,

told by our assessor crimps are not perment connections but hey at the end of the day its all opinions, JB's above ceiling under floor boards - use armeg cutters of cut borad above or cut floor boards (but all depends on job which we havnt seen):confused:

If the the terminatiion is made using an approriate compression tool (ratchet crimper) then it is a permanent connection abviouly you externeal influences have to be taken into account so putting them into a small box to prevent moisture then sealing in wall is ok

Johhny b would you have access to joint box?? you going to put an inpection hatch in kitchen??

Last edited:
I think what some of us are thinking is that this a leg to a socket fed from above, so hopefully you may be able to pull a new cable up the capping / oval etc, junction box under floor / ceiling then obviously made off in the socket, this must be the better option and IMO, not a bodge

If the the terminatiion is made using an approriate compression tool (ratchet crimper) then it is a permanent connection abviouly you externeal influences have to be taken into account so putting them into a small box to prevent moisture then sealing in wall is ok

Johhny b would you have access to joint box?? you going to put an inpection hatch in kitchen??

If you install a maintenance free JB it doesnt need to be accessible

Last edited:
if i had a pound ive herd the crimp debate haha some say its bad practice to crimp some say its fine
but crimps are acceptable to be plastered in a wall

sparks i agree if possible to replace the leg fine its the way to do it. However if that is nt possibel a crimped sealed connection in wall isnt a bodge either. Th maintenece free joint boxes are fine as well but in some ways simmilar to a crimped connection.

Last edited:
sparks i agree if possible to replace the leg fine its the way to do it. However if that is nt possibel a crimped sealed connection in wall isnt a bodge either

i think there was a thread somewhere before that if a crimp connection was the only way forward then heat shrink sleeving could be installed to give it some "proper protection against moisture ingress"

thats what i said in a previous post on here

526.3 iv - conseaded - however how would you explain away 526.5 ii - just curious so I have an answer for my next assessment:)

Is it BS or BSEN standard to appropreate IP code

Last edited:

Reply to Cable dammage by drill in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net