Discuss Cable depth help/advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to look at a job over the weekend which involves getting power to a log cabin at the bottom of a garden. The run is about 25 meters.

I am going to use SWA cable, what depth would the cable need to be buried at and would you run it in any ducting or anything?

Is there any other things people recommend for this type of job

Thanks

Needs to be a suitable depth to avoid damage. It’s your call, look in 7671/GN, it has a suggestion.

Have you not looked?

Duct is favourable but adds cost but does allow expansion if you leave a rope in.

Last edited:
Well utility power cables are buried at 450mm for LV in the pavement and 1000mm on agricultural land. You can get ducting with "electricity" printed on it normally 38mm. Don't run other utilities through the same duct, i would run it in duct as opposed to laid in sand as it easier to replace if needed. If other utilities are needed ensure reasonable segregation in the trench. If you get a coil of duct an easy trick is to tie a plastic bag to something like a string line and use the vacuum cleaner to suck it through. Then use the sting line to pull through the blue polly rope to allow you to pull the cable in. I would put 150mm of sand on the duct followed by waning tape.

Most twinwall utility ducting comes with a draw string already in place. Otherwise, a well trained ferret is an option.
for larger sizes of ducting, a child can be utilised. you push the child in one end with a rope round the neck, and a playstation strategically placed at the other end.

Reply to Cable depth help/advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I need to run a duct from our garage, under the (gravel) drive to the house. Specifically this is for a monitoring sensor needed for our...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a log cabin in my garden. An electrician ran an armoured cable from my consumer unit to the log cabin and this terminates on the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm going to be wiring up my garden office with power and ethernet underground and I need advice on the best way to run the cables as I have...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Background: I am not an electrician, I am a retired professional engineer high power broadcast transmitter design , but am dabbling outside my...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock