Discuss Cable Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

VoltzElectrical

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Today's first job.

Householder is building a retaining wall and we have lost supply on one of our street lighting cables. Inspector has done cut and test and got voltage to one point but lost it further on. No visible damage to exposed section of cable.

My job was to cut out section of cable and put in a new section. I did this and restored supply. I was determined to identify the fault in the section of cable I had removed so I kept cutting it in half and testing end to end until I had a 2 foot section left within no continuity. Then I started stripping it.

This was 6mm concentric cable and shortly after I had the live core separated . There was no visible damage, it looked perfect except about 4 inches from the end, the cable was floppy. There is a clean break in the solid aluminium conductor.

I'm assuming this is a manufacturing fault? I still have the piece in my van as evidence of what can happen in a piece of visually acceptable cable.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I've been in touch with a more knowledgeable member who seems to think its an inherent fault during the manufacturing process associated with the annealing or softening of the aluminium causing stress of the metal that failed at the stress point when the cable was moved, but not apparently damaged externally. A bit like bending and re-bending a metal part to cause it to intentionally fail.

I've had it only once before on a length of 1.5mm2 twin and earth cable that was open circuit, but I didn't investigate it as I have done in this instance.

This is the second concentric cable fault open circuit I've had this week so I was keen to probe further. The other is a farm sub main that I have on a temporary supply till the cable comes in next week. I may or may not have the same opportunity to find the exact point of failure on that cable depending on whether the Farmer pulls up the old one, or just excavates for the new one.

Well I really couldn't say even when it was installed, maybe many years ago. I guess we'll just put it down to a manufacture's fault that has now been rectified and from our point of view we'll just move on.

Aluminium doesn’t like vibration or being stretched. Without seeing a magnification of the break point it’s pure speculation as to what’s happened. 6mm² Al concentric ground vibration would be my bet.

I doubt it will be a manufacturing fault.

Never use aluminium cables of any kind, far too many problems associated with aluminum cables. The only good thing is the price, but as far as i'm concerned, even that is false economy both initially and over the long term!! I know from an ex DNO area manager friend that they had no end of problems with ally conductor cables....

I pulled out the snapped core from the insulation at the short end, (about 3-4 inches) and the aluminium conductor has been pulled uniformly down to a point about 1mm across. The insulation is perfect. I'm not convinced that this 'stretch' has happened on site and still believe it happened when the cable was being manufactured. I think the 'final' break happened when the cable was 'disturbed' during the excavations only because of the visible structural integrity of the external of the cable, and the minimal ground disturbance of the shallow and careful excavations.

I can post a picture of the cable if you want, but it will be pain to do so!

Reply to Cable Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock