Discuss Cable plasticiser reacting with copper. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Firstly no Ghostbusters jokes!!

Was called out to a job yesterday where a light fitting had been 'buzzing', upon inspecting it I saw the terminals and cable were covered with a 'green slime'. After a quick Google I found out this is quite common and that it the plasticiser of the cable reacting with the copper over time. The customer also wants a consumer unit change so was wondering what the general consensus would be..walk away or procceed with consumer unit change if the cables pass an IR test?

depends on whether the cables test OK, whether or not you can clean the slime off, and the size of the customer's wallet. ideally the cables should be replaced, they' around 50+ years old, but at the end of the day, it's your call.

I have only come across this a few times. Each time was due to short circuit problems. Each time the IR values were incredibly low.

I've seen it a few times. I've cleaned it off and IR results were decent enough.

It seems to appear where heavy loads are attached such as tumble driers, panel heaters etc. and only near the terminations. At a guess thermal effects increase the severity of the goo???

I've seen it a few times. I've cleaned it off and IR results were decent enough.

It seems to appear where heavy loads are attached such as tumble driers, panel heaters etc. and only near the terminations. At a guess thermal effects increase the severity of the goo???

I have found that too. In one instance the goo was evident in most circuits, but particularly on the lighting. There were chandeliers all over with incandescent lamps and the total load pulled was nearly 7 amps on the 6 amp fuse wire. These fittings had been in place since the rewire when this cable had been put in.

The IR readings on other circuits were low but just about compliant, but the lighting circuits were shot.

My theory was that the heat from the load exacerbated the breakdown of the plasticiser, and the lack of plasticiser contributed to the poor readings of the insulation.

Concur with all above. I would do minor works if that particular circuit tested okay. However, I would not do a CU change with evidence of the green stuff, as you kinda take on the responsibility for it.

I've come across it a few times, once replacing a damage socket and other similar situations. Last one was a request for CU change; gave the client some documents on the subject, and they elected for a rewire. The existing install was in a bit of a mess, so it wasn't just the goo.

any member needs to know all about goo....... just google goo

Is it just me that carries a bottle of Fairy liquid?

"See that green stuff? Needs a rewire love"

What?

Could these instances possibly relate to someone using certain types of vaping fluid in the vincinity of the ceiling light fixtures. Twin and earth wire used so wiring cannot be that old. Substance found can be absorbed into kitchen tissue - viscous green liquid, tacky to the touch.Cable plasticiser reacting with copper. green slime.JPG - EletriciansForums.netCable plasticiser reacting with copper. green slime.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If that was linked to vaping fluids then the brown and blue flex insulation would also be showing signs.

If that was linked to vaping fluids then the brown and blue flex insulation would also be showing signs.
Thanks folks
Green goo it is then
only evident on the fittings with the solid green earth sleeving

No chance that is going to test out OK. some of it is not much more viscous than water .

If I had green goo in my house, I'd eventually rewire whether it tests ok or not. When I've ever I've come across it with customers, I've gave them the information to make an informed decision. If they asked my opinion, I would tell them to rewire. But thats my personal opinion.

I will post up some more photographs if I can to-morrow out of 3 ceiling fittings 2 are liquid goo and one is dry very different to look at the dry one was not exposed to the vapour all other light fittings in the house were clearly rewired later on as fitted with the normal earth sleeving

I used to come across it loads years ago doing council work in concrete high rise blocks with steel conduit installation, some of the stairwell lighting conduit in one was literally running with the stuff and IR shot.
Have seen it in a few houses on twin and earth too but not so regularly.
I would advise that the cable is in poor health and let the customer make the decision!

Here are a couple more photos showing the three light fittings affected by the green goo. They clearly show the difference between the dry and the wet type of greening. The fittings affected by wet goo do not test out satisfactory. Appreciate your help and any more comments. HCable plasticiser reacting with copper. light wires bkrm.JPG - EletriciansForums.netCable plasticiser reacting with copper. lightingstairporch.JPG - EletriciansForums.netope this will be helpful to others confronted with a similar problem. Cable plasticiser reacting with copper. light wires bkrm.JPG - EletriciansForums.netCable plasticiser reacting with copper. lightingstairporch.JPG - EletriciansForums.netCable plasticiser reacting with copper. lightingstairporch.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Cable plasticiser reacting with copper. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock