Discuss Cable preference for corridors and public access areas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all Friday at last!

Just like to get your thoughts and opinions on this, just been on site today for a new 16 x studio flats over 4 floors in the center there is a donut shaped stairwell and in the center of the donut is a lift access for each floor (check photo)

According to the client (an old school chums uncle) the job had been taken on by a sparky who was never on site and only sent subcontractors to do the work so naturally stood in the stairwell I looked up and saw that there was 1mm singles in 20mm conduit for the beginning part of the lighting circuit going into a light fitting and coming out the other end was 1.5mm T+E clipped direct to thin wood that looked like that had been stuck on with silicon. (this is partially wired from the ground floor to the 2nd floor)

I've always been taught where there is a high public footfall (corridors stairwells) you use FP200 and all round band/metal cable ties in the event there is a fire and the cables would fall if using plastic clips trapping people and the fire services path.

Also some smoke alarms had been wired in standard T+E. Again I've always used red FP200 for smoke alarms on commercial sites but for flats what do you all use?

The whole thing just seems messy! Be good to get your thoughts.Image1.jpg

Cables on escape stairwells should be avoided wherever possible, if not they should have ideally have low smoke emission properties but in all cases they should be supported with fire retardant fixings/containment.
What type of fire alarm is it.

For an installation of that complexity, and associated costings that will inevitably arise, do you think it is a professional approach to discuss wiring methods, like what type of cables have been used etc?
For a job of this size I would have expected some sort of construction consultancy to have been employed.
Cable types, cable routing and cable fixings, should have been discussed at the planning stages.
Personally I think it's a wrong move at this stage as to what we all think, what should be used and the installation method, should have already been decided, just because it's a family friend bears no consequences to the methods, and costings used, sorry for the bluntness of my reply, it smacks of someone wanting a cheap job imo.

as pete says, the installation should have been specified by the project manager in consultation with LABC, Fire Dept., and any other interested bodies.

Hi Guys, thanks for your feedback as always, but I haven't done any of the work on this install. This is just me walking around having a visual inspection of what has been done so far on the request of my friends uncle, as he has had a falling out with the sparkys who did all the work so far.

I would not have thought a Part 6 system, assuming that is what it is would be appropriate.

Surely the architects plans state the alarm type and grade .......

Sounds like some corners have been cut.

I don't doubt that, I asked to see the technical schedule and specs all they could give me were drawings of the floor plan, if he didn't skimp and use these cowboy wiremen he wouldn't be in this situation. Anyway he wants me to help out until he can find another spark to work on site.

Reply to Cable preference for corridors and public access areas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net