Discuss cable repearing in domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Alright guys a friend of mine said he could hear banging sounds from his walls and his fuse blew ' 30amp...hes on rewireables' so I go round and everything is fine. I sit down In his front room having a little think and 5mins later i hear a slight sparking sound from the walls. Then huge arcy sparky sounds XD so I took there fuse out. Problem is there hole house is wired.....on one ring main.... So they have no sockets at all. Now I think the cable is behind skirting board so I think a mouse may of got to it as the little basteds have been causing them problems for last few weeks. I don't Like the idea of cutting the bad cable and using connector blocks everywhere but I can't exactly start running new runs of cable and bashing half the house up. They have no money for stuff like this and I'm doing it for free because he is my mate. There getting the house rewireed in about a year because my mates mom has lives there for 20years and problems only happening now and she wants a new board etc

She wants a complete rewire the way the house is wired is just horrific but thats what happens when people in pubs do the work haha by the time she wants it rewired I'll have my 2394/2395 hopefully xD

Did you test the circuit, disconnect the faulty section of ring then re-energise the circuit temporarily with a 20A OCPD? Or did you just pull the fuse and leave them without any power until you can get us to tell you what to do?

If it's only for a year then replace the bad cable with surface wiring, or split the circuit into two radials.

How does you having 2394/5 have any bearing on the rewire of the house?

I don't know about repearing the cable as the title suggests. It sounds pretty pear shaped already. I wouldn't want to find the fault only to re-pear it.

Hum....

Step one - identify exact let of circuit faulty
Step two - discuss options with client

Step three - implement agree solution.

Not that tricky really

I found and fixed the problem. Done insulation resistance tests to find the little ****. I think it was dampnes and over time the cables just packed in. The feed is under about 2 inch's of concrete and the concrete is on top of the floor boards....not sure how commen this is but its a complete pain in the --- because there's no access to the cables etc its so stupid. And the reason I want my 2394 and 2395 is so I can go with a company and do the paper work and sign of trying to do things right. What do you guys think about this. Now there on rewireable fuses. I don't want to start changing boards because they have no money for it etc for it. What do you think on adding a RCD spur just under the dB board for the socket circuit.

I found and fixed the problem. Done insulation resistance tests to find the little ****. I think it was dampnes and over time the cables just packed in. The feed is under about 2 inch's of concrete and the concrete is on top of the floor boards....not sure how commen this is but its a complete pain in the --- because there's no access to the cables etc its so stupid. And the reason I want my 2394 and 2395 is so I can go with a company and do the paper work and sign of trying to do things right. What do you guys think about this. Now there on rewireable fuses. I don't want to start changing boards because they have no money for it etc for it. What do you think on adding a RCD spur just under the dB board for the socket circuit.

You will be limiting the "socket circuit" to 13 amps Mike, bit of a daft idea to be truthful

fit a stand alone RCD (in an enclosure) from the RFC fuse in the DB (and the N of course), then divert the L & N circuit tails to the outgoing side of the RCD. make sure your IR is good first.

Last edited:

Reply to cable repearing in domestic in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net