Discuss Cable Routing help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richlizard

Hi all.

This is my first post for advice, so please take it easy on me. I am a recently qualified electrician on a completely new career change and have soon realised that qualifications mean nothing at all compared to the experience that no doubt you guys have built up over the years.

I am presented with a perfect opportunity as my friend has bought a house where the wiring leaves a lot to be desired. Another friend is dealing with the larger issues like changing the fuse board to a new consumer unit and I have taken on the role of what should be a simpler job of new light fittings and moving sockets around, etc.

I only had a quick 20 minutes to look around, but this is what I observed.

They currently have no light switch cables buried into the wall and sockets are a mixture of little mini double sockets and some so big you could house a hamster inside. Most rooms have spurs and homemade extensions made to look like it is part of the ring, but obviously not. So a lot of work to be carried out.

The first room they want done in a hurry is their lounge which has presented me with my first issue which I hope you can help with.

One side of the chimney breast they have this tiny double socket which they want moved to the other side of the chimney breast. This is on an external side wall...

2py9hq8.jpg

I don't know how the cable was routed, but as you can see there is a 'spur' cable running to the other side of the chimney breast. I doubt very much it was legit or safe how it is routed or even how it is wired direct into the socket, but on the other side of the chimney breast was this giant great ugly lump that I assume is just some kind of glorified extension lead??

2rr08wg.jpg

Obviously that lump will be removed from the current socket and they want two double sockets in this area to replace it. So I want to extend the ring from one side to the other. I thought it was obvious that all I needed to do was go to the floorboards above and run it around the chimney breast beneath the floorboards and chase it back down the other side. When I went upstairs, facing the same external wall, I found that the right hand side of the breast was in a bedroom as shown here...

4hfnuq.jpg

When I got the floorboard up, I was expecting to see the two cable disappearing down through a hole and chased into the wall...

2yvqyic.jpg

But they seemed to go through a beam, almost as if going outside but obviously not. So I am struggling a little to see how I will get them up and out... or even confirm where they are going. They seem to be in the correct place, but can only see them aiming to the external wall through this beam. I would assume the hole was drilled into this beam and the cabling pushed through and down into the channel in the wall. I don't suppose this is an issue. If I can't pull them back out again (if needed), I would just cut them off as they don't want this socket any more. It is not an issue to channel out the wall as obviously the plaster will be in at some stage.

My real problem arrives next. The left hand side of the chimney breast upstairs is in the bathroom next door... somewhere!

28vbplw.jpg

As you can see, the left hand side of the chimney breast and the cavity I was expecting to see so I could run the cables down the external wall is not there. It is all filled in and tiled. The floor is also tiled.

So I am at a bit of a loss how to get the cable from one side of the chimney breast to the other.
There are no other sockets from that side of the room to run from. Obviously I don't want to run cabling across or through the chimney breast. The floor is concrete (wood effect vinyl) and I was considering channelling out along the floor, but not sure of the pros and cons of that.

So there you go.

Sorry it is a little long-winded but I am hoping someone has had this exact scenario and there is a simple solution.

I very much appreciate your help and any suggestions.

Complete rewire by the looks of things, why ponce about moving sockets when you can get it right and safe by rewiring, far easier than what you are suggesting,

Complete rewire by the looks of things, why ponce about moving sockets when you can get it right and safe by rewiring, far easier than what you are suggesting,
If your mate is swapping the CU he should be testing the installation, in all honesty and no disrespect, it looks like you and your mate don't really have a clue. Sorry for being so blunt, but "tiny sockets"

If your mate is swapping the CU he should be testing the installation, in all honesty and no disrespect, it looks like you and your mate don't really have a clue. Sorry for being so blunt, but "tiny sockets"

Yes it is a bit disrespectful. He has been in the business for 35 years. There really is no need to be rude.

I however am doing my best and asking for advice, not sneers.

The socket is my description of an old socket that is the smallest physical sized socket that I have seen - as in the body is barely much larger than a plug.

If there is anyone else on this site willing to offer help rather than ridicule, it would be appreciated.

Yes it is a bit disrespectful. He has been in the business for 35 years. There really is no need to be rude.

I however am doing my best and asking for advice, not sneers.

The socket is my description of an old socket that is the smallest physical sized socket that I have seen - as in the body is barely much larger than a plug.

If there is anyone else on this site willing to offer help rather than ridicule, it would be appreciated.
I'm not sneering, or ridiculing you mate, just saying like it is.

I think your best bet woult be to take advice, guidance, help, and supervision from your experienced friend.
Was thinking exactly the same, if there is two of you you bounce ideas off each other and his experience should point you in the right direction. Has he actually tested the installation.

Was thinking exactly the same, if there is two of you you bounce ideas off each other and his experience should point you in the right direction. Has he actually tested the installation.

This would actually be great, but he has just had a serious operation and not allowed back to work until end January. I just want to get on and do as much as I can without the need to pester him on his hospital bed.

The rewiring option is possibly the best, but I still need to find a way to get to that corner.

Well upstairs you can drop down to downstairs, and drop down from the loft for upstairs. and yeah agree with Pete, rewire the lot. I dont think I would change a box with what I have seen so far in your photos. What supply is it? You got a test meter (MFT)?

If you are going to set about it 1 room at a time and alter what's there to fit what's required, you'll end up with a complete house full of junction boxes and messy wiring.

You need to start from fresh, bearing in mind the order the rooms become available.
It may mean you put in part of a new ring each time you do a room and leave enough cable to reach the next new socket.

You may also have top learn how to get cables into floors from below like the bathroom where you can't lift boards.

Well upstairs you can drop down to downstairs, and drop down from the loft for upstairs. and yeah agree with Pete, rewire the lot. I dont think I would change a box with what I have seen so far in your photos. What supply is it? You got a test meter (MFT)?

230v single phase. The cables are of course run as you say. But I need to get from one side of the chimney breast to the other with the problems as highlighted above.

But I am now concerned about what you have said regarding not wanting to change a box. I may need to get a more experienced electrician (not laid up in hospital) to come out and take a look. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to set about it 1 room at a time and alter what's there to fit what's required, you'll end up with a complete house full of junction boxes and messy wiring.

You need to start from fresh, bearing in mind the order the rooms become available.
It may mean you put in part of a new ring each time you do a room and leave enough cable to reach the next new socket.

You may also have top learn how to get cables into floors from below like the bathroom where you can't lift boards.

I may have made the whole thing sound worse than it is.

There are probably only half a dozen sockets that need replacing with new flush ones. Literally just replacements, but put the cables into the wall where necessary.

It is just this one room that is giving me a headache with trying to get the socket from one side to another.

As for 'I may need to learn how to get cables into floors etc...' that is my whole reason for coming to this forum lol

I'm not sneering, or ridiculing you mate, just saying like it is.
Speak to your Mate, agree to do a rewire it will make the replacement of the CU easier for him, both of you get stuck in to do the rewire, if he has more experience then his ideas shou
I may have made the whole thing sound worse than it is.

There are probably only half a dozen sockets that need replacing with new flush ones. Literally just replacements, but put the cables into the wall where necessary.

It is just this one room that is giving me a headache with trying to get the socket from one side to another.

As for 'I may need to learn how to get cables into floors etc...' that is my whole reason for coming to this forum lol

Thanks Pete. I am ok with floorboards and had to cut loads just a couple of days ago 'cos the new owners of a house being smashed around had put every possession they owned in the room I had to work in.

The issue I have - and what the other poster was alluding to - was getting through the floor the floorboards are not accessible. As in the image I put up in the bathroom.

Blimey Pete! Something tells me he's trying to get down the downstairs wall underneath that tiling in the bathroom not looking for a lesson in taking up floorboards.

If the position required to get down the wall is below that tiled floor and the only way to get a route would be through the said tiling, it looks like a bit of 'boxing in' behind the toilet and going through the floor and ceiling in said position would be the answer.

Is that RFC wiring in decent nick and does it test ok? If so, it could probably be re used.

the boys are write strip and rip ,by the time you rip the laminate flooring and the original floor board, if not I bet you wish you had.
looking at the picture with under floor boards is It a original ring .
did your mate test to see if it a ring.r1&r2
you say you mate got 30years under his belt and now saying get a more experienced spark in.

Reply to Cable Routing help required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net