Discuss Cable routing in domestic in France in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So im doing up a chalet in France and im wanting to get a french electrician in to wire it but to save a bit of money im going to do all the chasing out. Now ive been reading through french regs and a helpful installation book but my french isnt amazing yet so was just wanting to clarify some of my findings. This is how i understand it, would you please tell me if im wrong or anything else i need to know?

1) Cant chase down more than 0.8m down the wall or 1/3 of the wall
2) Cant chase higher than 1.3m from floor
3) Vertical chases have to be 1.6m apart
4) Cant chase on the same axis, ie one from above one from below
5) Can go anywhere in the floor but has to be below all insulation, screed, boards etc
6) Can only chase a max of 1250mm horizontally between points unless it is below 1/8 of wall height then its as far as you like
7) Can chase a 30mm depth in supporting walls
8) Depending on non supporting wall construction depth can be anywhere between 16mm and 32mm ( very vague I know but didnt want to write this whole table down thats in front of me)

I assume the french electrician will use ICTA gaine throughou the installation, I cant see why he would need any thermo type so less restrictions there.

I realise this is quite vague and im sure there is alot more to it, but am I correct with these regs so far and am I missing anything important here?

I appreciate your time and advice

Many thanks

Steve

You need to find and speak to a French electrician first, otherwise all your work may be wasted if he won't touch it.

This is France remember.

True true I just wanted to get a bit of back up from English guys who live in france and work as an electrician there first before i speak with a French electrician. I am a qualified UK electrician myself and thought I would do it myself in twin and earth thinking that would be fine. But upon a good search first I realised I was so wrong. I dont have time to learn french regs fullly and do it properly but thought that maybe I could get some advice first for channeling and like i say hopefully save a bit of money. I know what you mean about speaking to a FRench Elec first, makes sense but just a bit of prior knowledge I think would work wonders hopefully :)

You need a french sparky to tell you what you can and can't do.

A word of warning, there will be lots of chasing as the french like individual radials for most rooms.

Desaray I found it in Books years ago so there must be loads on the net?
My first electrical experience with our eu partners was shocking with there unfused plugs but i later realized they was way ahead of us with rcd protection.
You are correct about radial circuits especially kitchens.Every white unit in a kitchen has to be protected by its own c.b.
I got round this by installing a dis board in or as close i could in the kitchen.
Do not use t+e,you are in france use there flex conduit and try to adhere to there regulations.
I hoped i have helped you or at least inspired others to help?

Steve,

Send me a PM and I will help you through the stages of what you need to do. For you info I am a registered and insured electrician here in France.

Kind regards
Victor

The best books available are the PROMOTELEC guides - but - of course, they are in French... Since the Neutral Schema is normally TT in France - while it is TN in the UK, fuses as fault protection are worse than useless. UK plugs stuffed into adapters are dangerous - the fuse often ends up on the Neutral side so it makes things extra dangerous - because this separate from the earth.

Typically,you are trying to save money by doing something that even a British Sparky would have no experience and no qualification to do. How to plan and do French cable runs in French buildings is the business of a French electrician and takes specific training and experience. There are so many differences in the way things are done properly in France than in the UK. As a professional electricien in France I know that the only way I could get a good safe quality installation in the UK, should I ever need one done, would be to get a UK qualified professional electricians to do it – (while I made cups of tea .. ). The saving money argument – “why should I pay someone to do something I can do myself” – kind if thing - just doesn't make sense -- think it thought! Don't be another one that goes through a great deal of frustration for a poor and unsafe installation which would not pass a proper professional inspection and seriously devalues their Property.

Typically,you are trying to save money by doing something that even a British Sparky would have no experience and no qualification to do. How to plan and do French cable runs in French buildings is the business of a French electrician and takes specific training and experience. There are so many differences in the way things are done properly in France than in the UK. As a professional electricien in France I know that the only way I could get a good safe quality installation in the UK, should I ever need one done, would be to get a UK qualified professional electricians to do it – (while I made cups of tea .. ). The saving money argument – “why should I pay someone to do something I can do myself” – kind if thing - just doesn't make sense -- think it thought! Don't be another one that goes through a great deal of frustration for a poor and unsafe installation which would not pass a proper professional inspection and seriously devalues their Property.

about 95% of the UK population think they are sparks these days!

Steve,

Send me a PM and I will help you through the stages of what you need to do. For you info I am a registered and insured electrician here in France.

Kind regards
Victor

Hello Victor, I have meggered a 5 core old 3 phase cable, it tested great on IR.

Could I Double up on the Cores amd mark accordingly. This to supply a Sub Board near the kitchen

Hello Victor, I have meggered a 5 core old 3 phase cable, it tested great on IR.

Could I Double up on the Cores amd mark accordingly. This to supply a Sub Board near the kitchen

I'd start a new thread. This one's nearly 10 years old.

And welcome to the forum!

Reply to Cable routing in domestic in France in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock