Discuss Cable run for Fixing a double socket on Chimney Breast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it is going to be a non complient circuit , then there is no need to go there .
Would you need to Meggar a 4 mtr length of new cable that goes from one double socket to another ! .
Spike
Non compliant with what? There is always a need for testing how else do you know it’s going to be a safe installation? and you should carry out more tests than just IR. continuity of bonding conductors CPCs, Polarity, PFC, Ze, Zs, RCD trip times excuse me for being an a**e I didn’t realise you were qualified till I looked at your profile just there...

Last edited:
Non compliant with what? There is always a need for testing how else do you know it’s going to be a safe installation? and you should carry out more tests than just IR. continuity of bonding conductors CPCs, Polarity, PFC, Ze, Zs, RCD trip times excuse me for being an a**e I didn’t realise you were qualified till I looked at your profile just there...
Hi
I don't need to mention doing basic tests like , Polarity /continuity etc , it goes without saying that you would do those checks ! , it is just a very simple wiring job , I can nearly touch each end of the cable with both hands ! .

Hi
I don't need to mention doing basic tests like , Polarity /continuity etc , it goes without saying that you would do those checks ! .
Sorry as I said I didn’t realise you were a spark until I checked your profile. Lots of people come on here wanting advice on things like this and don’t have a clue or any test gear.
Have you not got anOSG? The safe zones are pretty well explained in there.

Is this an old house? Chimneys tend to be sticking out from the wall, so you might find the area of wall to the left and right of the chimney actually plasterboarded over alcoves.
Is the socket for a wall mounted TV? Do you need to also find a cable route for the AV cables?

Hi
I don't need to mention doing basic tests like , Polarity /continuity etc , it goes without saying that you would do those checks ! , it is just a very simple wiring job , I can nearly touch each end of the cable with both hands ! .

Even though it's a short run it will still need to be tested properly. As you should know, even a small section damaged can deem it unsafe

Is this an old house? Chimneys tend to be sticking out from the wall, so you might find the area of wall to the left and right of the chimney actually plasterboarded over alcoves.
Is the socket for a wall mounted TV? Do you need to also find a cable route for the AV cables?

Hi
Yes it is a old house and yes it is for a wall mounted TV , the whole wall is solid brick , AV cables n Sky etc coming in from opposite wall .
Cheers
Spike

I'm lost.
AV coming from opposite wall? In the same room, or the room behind the chimney?. Can the power come the same route?
Are you drilling right through the wall? Beware of the path of the chimney, it might start off central to the fireplace but veer to one side just above. I (recently did the same job, tried to drill into chimney for TV cable route and missed)

Even though it's a short run it will still need to be tested properly. As you should know, even a small section damaged can deem it unsafe[/QUOTE
I'm lost.
AV coming from opposite wall? In the same room, or the room behind the chimney?. Can the power come the same route?
Are you drilling right through the wall? Beware of the path of the chimney, it might start off central to the fireplace but veer to one side just above. I (recently did the same job, tried to drill into chimney for TV cable route and missed)

Sorry ajacent wall

Getting your opposite and adjacent mixed up there? Trigonometry not you strong point?

Well I am a little older than you I guess , not really worked in the trade for roughly 20 years or so , so a little relapse now and again in spelling etc is inevitable :).
Actually I was quite good at Trig n Tech drawing in my younger days

Just imagine the confusion if he'd mentioned the hypotenuse as well!
hypotenuse........
Cable run for Fixing a double socket on Chimney Breast {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Cable run for Fixing a double socket on Chimney Breast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock