Discuss Cable Type (20 chars) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I like NYY-J much easier than swa but the chances of getting the length you require instead of a drum is remote whereas swa you can often get a cut length.
I've never used NYY-J cable, interesting. Does it come up to BS standard for a general installation, lights, sockets, etc?
I come across quite a bit of SY cable supplying 3 phase machines and external air con systems. I thought it was a bit of quick way of going about things, especially when not glanded correctly, as is usually the case....and have used it for feeding from panels or control units.
Is there not an argument for all the Y's being regarded as control rather than supply cables?

These cables are nothing like YY, CY or SY. They are similar or the same essentially as High Tuff cables and comply to IEC60502 which is referred to in BS7671.

I'd never even heard of this "NYY-J" before today. It sounds like the old "pre-wired conduit" that was around before my time.
I don't see that it has any benefit over any other existing wiring system, such as flex in conduit. It sounds to me like an answer to a question which nobody has asked.

Nothing like pre-wired conduit or flex contained in conduit. It has low mechanical properties but most cables do but has good resistance from solar damage.

You're still not selling it to me - what can NNYJ cable do that SWA or black PVC conduit can't and how do you terminate this new cable?
So it's got good solar resistance (like black PVC conduit, SWA, even steel conduit); if you've only got a short run to go outside, what do you do with the thick sheathing on the rest of the run?

You're still not selling it to me - what can NNYJ cable do that SWA or black PVC conduit can't and how do you terminate this new cable?
So it's got good solar resistance (like black PVC conduit, SWA, even steel conduit); if you've only got a short run to go outside, what do you do with the thick sheathing on the rest of the run?
Pros and cons all round. Depends on the situation, really.

Pros and cons all round. Depends on the situation, really.
There are pros and cons to each cable type, which aids in their selection, but I don't see where this NYY-J could be useful to me where nothing else exists that does it better.

SY cable manufacturers now state "SY control cables are not suitable for fixed wiring applications requiring compliance with the requirements set out in BS7671."

SY cable manufacturers now state "SY control cables are not suitable for fixed wiring applications requiring compliance with the requirements set out in BS7671."
"

That message clearly isn't understood ..... I've seen it being used for outdoor installations around and about

"

That message clearly isn't understood ..... I've seen it being used for outdoor installations around and about
As have I Murdoch used it a lot for the interlinking of indoor and outdoor A/C units, the A/C companies sometimes depending on which manufacturer you use, recomendusing it, so there is obviously some confusion, stopped using it when one of the brighter Lads in my unit pointed out the point that SY doesn't comply with BS 7671.

It is only a recent change. We used to use SY for wiring up some equipment.

As have I Murdoch used it a lot for the interlinking of indoor and outdoor A/C units, the A/C companies sometimes depending on which manufacturer you use, recomendusing it, so there is obviously some confusion, stopped using it when one of the brighter Lads in my unit pointed out the point that SY doesn't comply with BS 7671.

I wasn't referring to fixing AC units... Garden lights...

Reply to Cable Type (20 chars) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net