Discuss Cables in attic, whats the best way to board / insulate over them? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wacman

I'm looking to board out the middle of my attic and was wondering what to do about the cables. The majority of cables are placed around the edge of the attic in the eaves so are on top of the insulation and are not a problem, but there are still some down the middle for landing lights and switches. i'll be looking to insulate and board over them but i'm a bit worried about cables over heating. Any thoughts on solutions would be welcomed.

I've had an idea about putting the cables in some over sized trunking ( say 35 x 35 mm) then putting the insulation and boarding on top. would this work?

Yes that should be ok , should'nt present any problems unless the wiring is really old , how many lighting points on that circuit

It's split from the downstairs so there's 6 lights on it. 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom and 2 on landing.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would make sure that the boarding is removable so as to be able to access the cables if necessary. another way would be to build up the joists by an inch, leving channels for the cables.

my old man was a woodwork teacher. taught me the basics ( only use a screwdriver if you ain't got a hammer)

And, if you haven't got a hammer use the screwdriver as one instead.....?

Grin.

learnt my woodworking skills when wood was wood, not weetabix and fibre board. wood was joined with joints, not nails. and a truss was what you wore to save your gonads

Love it....

Cheers for the smile.

Heres a few moments silence for the HOLY pyro and the UNHOLY neon.

May peace be with us.

Reply to Cables in attic, whats the best way to board / insulate over them? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net