Discuss Cables running through accessories to feed another circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There was a post yesterday, can't recall the exact one. I'll start by saying I wouldn't do it and never have, there were several reasons and answers that, although they provided some sort of response, there was never any definitive proof as to whether it was against the BS 7671.
Now I don't know about anyone else but when I can't locate an answer it erks me, so does any one know of the whereabouts of a regulation regarding this issue, I have looked, but can find nothing, any pointers would be appreciate, basically the poster wanted to know if it was permitted to run another circuit through an existing accessory.

What is the point if you are not going to join in come on put us out of our misery or maybe its all bluff and you don't know and are playing for time.

Its "acceptable" may not be good practice but I don't believe there is anything in the regs stating that you can't do it.

If I was on a job and found something like that I would mark it up for the next sparks so they would be aware.

What about conduit and trunking with multiple circuits?

Its "acceptable" may not be good practice but I don't believe there is anything in the regs stating that you can't do it.

If I was on a job and found something like that I would mark it up for the next sparks so they would be aware.

That's not running through an accessory. See post 6 you said you knew the answer!

An accessory is defined as a device other than current using equipment but associated with current using equipment or with an installation. There is no regulation preventing more than one circuit in or passing through an accessory and the only regulation on through wiring is regarding luminaires. I do recall some guidance from somewhere on through wiring in accessory enclosures but this was guidance not regulation.

You gave me all the hope you knew the exact regulation(s) and for what a total letdown disappointed SWD reputations blown to bits.

There is no regulation that states it can't be done though.

Reputation I never had one to start with lol apart from my "reputation" as a wind up merchant.........and Northerners are easy to wind up.

There is no regulation that states it can't be done though.

Reputation I never had one to start with lol apart from my "reputation" as a wind up merchant.........and Northerners are easy to wind up.
Never knew Northampton was classed as up North

Reply to Cables running through accessories to feed another circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net