Discuss Cabling Ideas in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

h901

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a job coming up that involves networking an underground office. The walls cannot be chased and the Ethernet sockets need to mounted on the wall. I was thinking of running the cable in trunking but I don't think it'll look professional, then thought of using conduit but not too sure. The cabling runs from each socket to the router and each socket will have around 5 wires.
Has anyone got any ideas how I can run the cabling so it'll look tidy and professional.
Thanks!

50 x 50 plastic trunking with sockets mounted directly above or below, assuming it gives you enough capacity at the end of the run.
Whatever you do, make sure the customer is OK with the design.

Five cables to one data port sounds very odd, or do you mean there are blocks of five ports at each location?
I am not sure at what point your cables can enter the room but I would have thought for an office that dado trunking may well be a reasonable solution and it also offers easy modifications if required.
How is the power run at the moment? if the power is neat then matching the installation method would probably be the most congenial.

Five cables to one data port sounds very odd, or do you mean there are blocks of five ports at each location?
I am not sure at what point your cables can enter the room but I would have thought for an office that dado trunking may well be a reasonable solution and it also offers easy modifications if required.
How is the power run at the moment? if the power is neat then matching the installation method would probably be the most congenial.

Thanks for the replies.

The power cables are in conduit but they look a mess. 5 cables are for the Ethernet ports, 2 blocks of 2 ports and 1 spare cable. The cables are basically going to be run from each port on the wall to one corner of the office. Everything stays inside the office (if that makes sense)

Dado trunking everytime for me.

apologies if this question comes across stupid, but as I have lots of ethernet faceplates can I just use them with dado trunking or do i need to buy specific ones.

also, is there any recommended place to buy it from? thanks

any electrical wholesalers will sell dado trunking even screwfix. You can use your own prefered sockets and faceplates but need the corisponding mounting boxes.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

Does anybody know if the dado trunking could fit in a roof mounted rhino pipe tube? Or is it too thick?

Also to cut the dado trunking, is it ok to use a hacksaw or is there some good tool to make the cut more clean?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help.

Does anybody know if the dado trunking could fit in a roof mounted rhino pipe tube? Or is it too thick?

Also to cut the dado trunking, is it ok to use a hacksaw or is there some good tool to make the cut more clean?

Strap the trunking to the roof rack if it wont fit inside the van. It comes in plastic wrap usually.
Cut the trunking using a set square and hacksaw with a suitable blade. Clean any rough edges with a scrape of a stanley knife.
Cut the base separate from any lid of course, and only cut your middle lid sections once you have all accessories wired and placed.
Use manufactured bends and covers where possible. Where not possible, cut accurately and finish with white silicone.

If you don't fancy using three section and the cabling is to be not of great quantity, you could use single compartment with internal divider.

Reply to Cabling Ideas in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock