Discuss Cabling / wires at new build property for TV in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just moved into a new build property that has a number of exposed / incomplete looking wires near the TV areas (one photo attached from the living room and one, with the single cable from the kitchen). The person I got the property on says they've deliberately left them like that as they're preparation cables for my chosen TV/media provider to finish off. Just wanted to check whether people think this is right... I'm not convinced cabling being left like this is what a good property development should leave "unfinished", or is it? Have they just skipped on finishing them, or is this actually helpful?! Thanks in advance for any comments

Cabling / wires at new build property for TV 20171125_094824_resized - EletriciansForums.net

Cabling / wires at new build property for TV 20171125_095235_resized - EletriciansForums.net

The first picture shows more cables than I would expect to see.

The second picture appears to be aerial cable

Its quite feasible the builder will complete them once you know what you want or you will need to pay.

Are you aware where they go to?

TBH that's a bit half arsed, the could have stuck a grid plate on there and terminated into the appropriate modules.

My new build was like this when I bought it, however this was only in the living room where the TV point is and the broadband enters the house. Your chosen provider should stick a front plate on it. You have a lot of cables there though.. more than usual I would say!

If it a new build and they are still building around you, can't you ask the sales team and / or check what the sales material sales?

I think they are talking poppycock and should complete the job. I can't see and provider coming in and terminating those cables for you.

Thanks for all the quick replies, really appreciated. Basically the developers are supposedly high-end and should come back and finish off if I'm not happy with something. Essentially I'm still not sure if I should call them back (and what to actually ask them to do?!). I'm not even sure I'm getting satellite TV anytime soon so not too keen on wires hanging out like that since I've got a 2 year old. Just unsure what to reasonably ask them for and don't want to make things more difficult for a TV installation at a later date...

When we provide virgin cables and wire for the main BT point the boxes/cables are just blanked off as it’s down to the providers bt or virgin to terminate inside the property
That is the spec for the contract on 3 sites we have. Bt to fit master socket and virgin to fit their outlets, when we finish a test plot the blanks are fitted and the providers come along however many weeks later

Does your property have a stateliite and an aerial?
At a guess those 4 coaxs could be 2 cables coming from the satellite, 1 cable from your aerial and a rf return feeding the bedroom, we used to wire new build tv systems thus way. But really that's a complete guess!!!

Your lucky cable have been installed for future use a majority if not all the major house builders only install the minimum and you see new builds with Sky/Vergin/BT clipped around the brickwork.

Reply to Cabling / wires at new build property for TV in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock