Discuss Calculating Cable Size for Ring Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Again, I'm probably misreading this but, am I correct in that they have asked you to design these 8 RFC (40 sockets) but are not willing to clarify what is being plugged into them?
Pretty much, but at least they know they wont get more than 32A from the circuit. i think the idea is much like a cleaners circuit, you know that only 1 or 2 will actually be in use at a time.

That length of run, you’re looking at 10mm2.
Could make off into adaptable boxes and then spur off in 2.5mm
Okidokie, thanks for the help. I was planning on using a 6x6 JB and coming out of there into the socket so I'm along the same lines of thinking as you.

Many Thanks

Okidokie, thanks for the help. I was planning on using a 6x6 JB and coming out of there into the socket so I'm along the same lines of thinking as you.

Many Thanks
Not much help really, but you are welcome

Is three phase available?

Could you run a supply to a point then supply temprary rubber bricks for 16 amp distribution?

At a guess these are for food style outlets such as burger vans which mainly run off 16 amp commandos.

Is three phase available?

Could you run a supply to a point then supply temprary rubber bricks for 16 amp distribution?

At a guess these are for food style outlets such as burger vans which mainly run off 16 amp commandos.
yeah my main incomer is 400A Switchboard, i've then got a 3ph DB in each stand.
It's just sockets just now with the view to maybe sticking a guy with a hot dog roller machine in the corner for the bigger matches. it wouldnt ever be on the scale of a burger van rocking up and plugging in.
I've not even approached the subject yet with them over if they want to sockets locked so punters don't start charging their phone or fire up a 3 bar Electric fire for the winter games haha.

I've not even approached the subject yet with them over if they want to sockets locked so punters don't start charging their phone or fire up a 3 bar Electric fire for the winter games haha

So, where about in the stadium are these sockets being fitted?
If the general public can get to them while at the stadium I would consider fitting isolators to each circuit.

You are asking about cable sizes without giving us particulars of the length of each leg and the intended loading, which are two of the prime factors. The position of the sockets around the length of the ring will affect the voltage drop and you cannot simply apply a standard formula unless the load is evenly distributed along the length.

If all the sockets are clustered together with two long, nearly equal legs back to the board, then the voltage drop will be similar to a radial made of a cable of twice the CSA. E.g. if your ring is made of 6mm² running 100m to the first point, then 5m between each point and the next, then 100m back to the board, you effectively have a 12mm² radial with the same voltage drop and CCC. I would instead use a radial of 16mm², terminated in an adaptable box to bring it down to 4mm² and run that along the sockets as a radial.

If instead the sockets are distributed along the length of the cable, then the ring or two radials would be a better bet. With an evenly distributed load, the drop in a ring is the same if you consider the middle point broken, making it two radials of half the total length. Then, each radial has a load equivalent to half the total, at a point halfway along. In this case it doesn't matter whether the circuit is a ring or radials, the drop is equal. Since the voltage drop is probably going to dictate the cable size instead of the CCC, you might be better off with double the number of radials.

I find it difficult to believe a new football stadium does not have strategically placed distribution boards for lighting and power.

Information about the load and future requirements sounds thin on the ground and will have a profound effect on the cabling schedule. I think given the logistics of running SWA cabling around the stands of a stadium for trading stalls I'd be suggesting to the customer they invest in getting a consultant in to do a proper spec.

Just out of curiosity, why SWA for wiring the sockets?
How to you terminate the armour?
If it is 6mm then you will have fun putting 2 of them into each socket.
It would depend upon the make, but 6mm would be the limit for termination in box and terminals

Run a suitably sized sub main, in a roughly central position in the stadium, fit a suitably sized distribution board and wire your radials/RFC s from there, still can't understand why you are saying the sub main will need to be sized there and back.

a 25mm SWA is needed, which obviously inst viable for a few sockets.

Why not, I once installed a 35sq cable for 1No 13A double socket (Fridge and kettle) to a fishing/hunting lodge over approx. 200m.
The owner thought less hassle than continually getting fuel for a generator! So eventually paid for itself.

Possibly run more than 1 sub circuit. 3 phase or 1 phase Sub circuits to be suitably sized for known load plus spare capacity for unknown (with -in reason) load. I would keep all the final sub circuits to a sensible distance. Possibly use 16 amp sockets for caterers to plug into. As mentioned before, I would get a spec to say to what is required. You may leave yourself wide open later on being sued, if not adequately designed.

Reply to Calculating Cable Size for Ring Circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock