Discuss Calculation of capacitor value for conversion from star to delta in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not quite it though looking at it. It gives the values of volts and amps etc. but not the capacitance for the "third" phase calculation unless I am missing something.

Do you mean for running a 3-phase motor from a single-phase supply?

So I take the 3 cross linked (two links) on the star configuration, and move the links directly down to the terminals on the other side and place L on one terminal and N on the other terminal I need a connection the third coil usually a capacitor taken from on of the other terminals depending on rotation required. So as to provide power to the third coil.

How many wires do you have access to
Not sure yet, but think I may have to place a capacitor in a three phase motor converting it to single phase. I presume I will see six wires three incoming and three linked as set up for three phase star configuration. Then I got to thinking what value capacitor for the (say)mid point connection. I suppose I can ask the motor manufacturer. They supply a wiring diagram but not the capacitor. I am not even sure yet what I will be dealing with as I have not looked at the connection but what else can it be after all. Assuming it's a bog standard wiring/motor 3 coils etc.

There is no one ideal value as the third leg current depends on the mechanical load, and if this is highly variable a compromise value is needed. The motor will always be running under abnormal conditions and its performance and power will be reduced.What is the application?

It's a 2Hp 9a 2Kw motor for irrigation on a farm. It may be it is single phase so nice and simple I am not sure if they send them all out as three phase or what at the moment awaiting more information.

So this pump will pump clean water to the field and has a Domino UP controller which is really just a fancy switch(ing) system to control and alarm running dry, or managing other switches such as float switch or pressure switch (Danfoss KPI35) for the expansion tank. I realise the float switch may be redundant. The Domino checks dry running through setting the Cos/Phi level at the motor.

Reply to Calculation of capacitor value for conversion from star to delta in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net