Discuss Calibrating voltage indicators in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

golfpaul

Im getting everything setup for my part p assessment and am wondering if i need to get the voltage indicator calibrated, its the dilog combivolt 2.

Ta.

No, just needs to work, so either using a proving unit or a know source is satisfactory.

But you can use the proving unit on a dead site to verify your tester, which you can't do with another tester. One of each for me.

True, but it is in the nature of proving units that they don't tend to give out excessive output. A faulty indicator will often fail to indicate the presence of a hazardous voltage, which is not a fail-safe condition. A faulty proving unit would make you infer that your voltage indicator is faulty even when it is OK, rather than the other way around, so this is a fail-safe condition.

jesus wept what a ridiculous thread

just prove the chuffin thing on a known source of supply....such as the incoming side of the incomer...

any part pis assessor will accept that....caus its perfectly acceptable to prove it using this method...

i`v got...oh about 5 proving units knockin about...
several campbell york`s...a couple of seawards and a martindale..

i`v got several AVIs...

A Martindale phase rotation tester and a Martindale voltage indicator...

loads of stuff like that...lockout gear n all...

jesus wept what a ridiculous thread

just prove the chuffin thing on a known source of supply....such as the incoming side of the incomer...

any part pis assessor will accept that....caus its perfectly acceptable to prove it using this method...

Sorry mate - just needed to know if it had to be calibrated or not, i'll get me' coat...

i`v got...oh about 5 proving units knockin about...
several campbell york`s...a couple of seawards and a martindale..

i`v got several AVIs...

A Martindale phase rotation tester and a Martindale voltage indicator...

loads of stuff like that...lockout gear n all...

Even calibrated that , too......:wink_smile:

Sorry mate - just needed to know if it had to be calibrated or not, i'll get me' coat...
like i says....the incomer (incoming side) will be enough...

dont forget to re-prove the instrument AFTER you have tested for dead...if he asks you to show him a safe isolation....

remember about how to carry out polarity live as well....should he want to see you do this..

its unlikely though that he will ask for anything more than tea n biscuits, a loop test (Ze or Zs)..and maybe your 1/2, 1 & 5...

Reply to Calibrating voltage indicators in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock