Discuss Callout to arcing supplier fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pat H

-
Reaction score
Had a callout on Saturday. Customer had lost power in the night and now had a burning smell and a crackling sound from the "black lump at the top of the supply cable"
They'd called another company who quoted £72 for a 30 min visit to investigate but couldn't say when in the day they could attend.
No other advice given.
The customers father knew me and was concerned so called me.
I told them over the phone it was likely a failure in the DNO feed or fuse and to turn off the CU main isolator till I got there. I also advised it was unlikely I could do much if it was before their meter.
When I arrived it was clear the DNO fuse had overheated. Cool by now.
Noted with customer that no seals present on the DNO fuse so I pulled it.
Incoming fuse holder blade socket was duscoloured and burnt. Fuse blade equally damaged.
Suspecting incoming cable screws loose I tightened and sure enough well loose.
It was clear a new fuse holder assembly needed and thats a DNO job.
Family had a baby in the house. So I cleaned up the fuse holder best I could and reversed the fuse holder and re-inserted.
Ensured no high current devices on. (Immersion kettle cooker shower) and re engaged supply.
Advised customer to only use lights and fridge freezer to keep load low and to monitor fuse for any issues.
At that point fuse holding ok.
Called DNO on their dangerous electrical fault line. Explained situation and requirement for priority callout as baby in house.
Left customer and heard from them a few hours later to say all sorted and ok now and no other cost to them beyond my callout fee that was much less than the £72 they'd been quoted.

Anything different others here would have done?
If you'd had a spare DNO fuse holder would you have used that (socket badly damaged so of limited help)

The customer was very close to me and my main concern was to ensure the situation wasn't a fire risk.
Didn't want to wait the 15 mins or so the DNO call took.
I always put safety over the legal position.
If seals had been present and intact I'd have not pulled the fuse just made sure it was cool and safe with load disconnected.

I would of stopped once their CU was isolated, no further damage/fire likely to occur. I wouldn't touch a damaged supply fuse, and I certainly wouldn't re-instate a damaged main fuse. A call to the DNO would receive a swift response, I would suspect.

I understand you meant well, but messing with a damaged supply head can be extremely dangerous.

My opinion

I would have done the same thing, I would assume that it was a big company that quoted that figure, I really must put my call out figure up but wait I have a concence and actually do my job to help people out.

Thanks midwest. Yes that cross my mind and I initially advised the customer I couldn't do anything before the meter.
If I'd see pitch leakage or damage to the head end of concern I'd have left it at that.
I'd expected seals to be in place and that would have been that.
But no current flowing and plenty of space to work in I took a risk.
Probably would have been wise to slip my safety glasses on! Why do I always remember them afterwards!

Yes it was a big company who didn't even tell them to make safe or that it was unlikely they could actually do anything.

Interesting thread. Presumably, if the seal was still on the most you could do would be to make sure the CU was switched off. Legally, I couldn't see there would be a problem breaking the seal if you were doing it to prevent damage or injury. I think the DNO should be buying you a pint.

On a business front Pat, if you want to make a living doing sparking, an out of hours weekend rate, that the people were quoted is not unreasonable - assuming you don't just pocket the cash.

Me thinks you have a bit to learn about the trade and earning a living....

OP did say that the customer was a close acquaintance, so a £40 - £50 call out would have been my figure. anyone notclosefamily or friend, £60 -£65 would be about right. bear in mind that £12 of that £72 would be VAT.

Personally I would have put the DNO emergency call in and waited on site with the CU switched off. You never know what damage has been caused to any equipment including the fuse when excess heat and arcing has been involved, however unlikely.
I would not have been comfortable energising the system and leaving site I'm afraid.

With the CU isolated there wouldn't have been much point waiting. If it had burst into flames there would be nothing I could have done. I'd have just been clocking up chargeable time.
Knowing the customer had a potential 4 hr wait for DNO and it was getting late so dark. I did what I did to give them lighting and fridge freezer contents intact.
The mains board was close at hand and easy to monitor. I was confident the customer could monitor and isolate as well as I could.
Of course these calls always get done on the hoof so its down to what feels right at the time.
And yes it was a mates rate for an hours work door to door.

Ok I will play Devils advocate, and its not a dig at you! its just to discuss as you said "anything different you would do" Well if you put safety over the legal position, the legal position is that we should not touch the DNO equipment. This is for safety reasons. If you did a RA it would show you are more at risk. You should not take that risk. For instance:
A guy turned up for changing a fuse from the DNO and looked like Michelin man, suited up face guard thick gloves etc. I said thats a bit over the top isnt it. He said, No there have been quite a few incidents where taking out the fuse has resulted in explosion (in the South West) so there is a risk of severe personal injury. If you think about you are exposing yourself to more potential danger then was present for the people in question. All they had to do is wait untill DNO arrives. Everyone would then have taken the safest course. No? I am more than abundantly aware that at many domestics and other, someone has removed the seals and even fuse (oh noes!) not me of course in order to do something that needs doing so I am not decrying what obviously goes on if you get my meaning. I am just playing devils advocate for a moment.

Thats all true and I'm aware of the issues of pitch leakage and subsequent lack of insulation.
However on this head end the fuse element wasn't part of the incoming supply as such.
I could see the incoming enclosure looked good and no leaked pitch.
I could see the overheated fuse.
Yes I agree there was a risk and if tge fuse had resisted I'd have left it. But due to the weak blade connections it slipped out easily.
But yes there is a danger there that has to be considered.

The other tack to take would be to call splash and crash, due to the fire risk as it could be considered too dangerous / depending on proximity, to switch the CU off. I'm sure they'd get the DNO out pretty quick.

I will admit to laying it on a bit thick to the DNO when I called. I did say I didn't think it would catch fire but who knows...

Had a callout on Saturday. Customer had lost power in the night and now had a burning smell and a crackling sound from the "black lump at the top of the supply cable"
They'd called another company who quoted £72 for a 30 min visit to investigate but couldn't say when in the day they could attend.
No other advice given.
I told them over the phone it was likely a failure in the DNO feed or fuse and to turn off the CU main isolator till I got there. I also advised it was unlikely I could do much if it was before their meter.
Incoming fuse holder blade socket was duscoloured and burnt. Fuse blade equally damaged.
Family had a baby in the house. So I cleaned up the fuse holder best I could and reversed the fuse holder and re-inserted.
Ensured no high current devices on. (Immersion kettle cooker shower) and re engaged supply.
Advised customer to only use lights and fridge freezer to keep load low and to monitor fuse for any issues.
Called DNO on their dangerous electrical fault line. Explained situation and requirement for priority callout as baby in house.
Left customer and heard from them a few hours later to say all sorted and ok now and no other cost to them beyond my callout fee that was much less than the £72 they'd been quoted.

If you'd had a spare DNO fuse holder would you have used that (socket badly damaged so of limited help)
IMO you went over and above, good for you, got the fault located and dealt with.

No other advice given.

Spot on mate! Been to one similar a couple of years ago. Surprisingly working for the board, when doing cut out changes, it is amazing to find a 40 amp fuse present in the cut out.

Reply to Callout to arcing supplier fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net