Discuss came across this today in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
customer said they had this fitted a week ago.
no cert was issued
"things keep tripping the RCD thing out!"
they rang the original installer he said theyre sytem was old and thats ot thier fault.
IMAG0301.jpgbond to gas =none
bond to water = none
just amazing
look at the lower bar(s)

that photo is terrible. the CU is bad also.

the old couple said that random things make the rcd trip "they coulnt put thier finger on it"
she rang and asked for a cert and he said his friend might be able to do one.
one of the ring circuits was open/broken not mentioned to her
main earth tns was too small
cooker 6mm 40a breaker
(can you see the buzz bar problem?)

well looking at the picture the bus bar covers both rings the neutrals for these are in opposite neutral bars that would cause the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks to me that 1 RFC has it's N in N bar 1, and the other RFC has it's N in N bar 2, but they are both on the RCD.

damn, nick beat me there, if we are correct, that is.

the Outgoing live terminal of the main switch is feeding all the breakers directly via the buzz bars .
the rcd is being fed from its top and bottom terminals as its conected to the already live buzz bar and also being fed by the flylead from main switch to the top.
however if you follow the current path of the second ring main the neutrals are connected to the right neautral bar so its only route out is via the N of the RCD! hence the rcd trip fault .
if that makes sense???

looks like something set up by rogue traders to catch you out quoting a rewire for ÂŁ9000 to an elderly couple. no spark could call himself a spark after doing that!

I'm the first one to moan about people at my college not knowing what they are doing.... After seeing that maybe I should lay off em?? Haha

Perhaps this could be moved to the CU installed for ÂŁ150 thread,as this is what i would expect to see and no bonding,cert etc,it was done by dave down the boozer after 8 pints of stella,shocking.

the Outgoing live terminal of the main switch is feeding all the breakers directly via the buzz bars .
the rcd is being fed from its top and bottom terminals as its conected to the already live buzz bar and also being fed by the flylead from main switch to the top.
however if you follow the current path of the second ring main the neutrals are connected to the right neautral bar so its only route out is via the N of the RCD! hence the rcd trip fault .
if that makes sense???

I dunno if it's my eyes, but it looks to me as if the busbar has been cut. It looks as if the busbar feeds circuits 1 and 2 directly from the main switch, and circuits 3, 4 and 5 are supplied from the RCD.
However the neutrals from circuit 3 (assuming correct sequencing) have been connected to the neutral bar that is not on the RCD, so any introduced load on this circuit would trip the device.

the old couple said that random things make the rcd trip "they coulnt put thier finger on it"
she rang and asked for a cert and he said his friend might be able to do one.
one of the ring circuits was open/broken not mentioned to her
main earth tns was too small
cooker 6mm 40a breaker
(can you see the buzz bar problem?)

That made me laugh.

looks like something set up by rogue traders to catch you out quoting a rewire for ÂŁ9000 to an elderly couple. no spark could call himself a spark after doing that!

funny you should say that im going to quote for a rewire that an elderly lady has been quoted for ÂŁ9000.00 2 bed mid terrace house she was told they would do it in a day ye right !!!

customer said they had this fitted a week ago.
no cert was issued
"things keep tripping the RCD thing out!"
they rang the original installer he said theyre sytem was old and thats ot thier fault.
View attachment 10836bond to gas =none
bond to water = none
just amazing
look at the lower bar(s)

Did they get an invoice?

That's truely astonishing bad, in so many ways and I don't have the time or energy to list them all.

Reply to came across this today in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net