Discuss Can 18 Usbs work on 24 volts system in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Trevon

Hello everyone,
I currently have a bus that works on 24 volts, I'm looking to install USB ports by each passenger seat. There are 9 seats and each USB component, had two ports ( 5v 1 amp and 5v 2.1amp).these components can seemly run on either 12v or 24v.
My question is if the batteries/electrical system would be able to handle the load say if all 18 ports are being used at the same time along with other accessories such as radio & amp, roof lights etc
Thanks!

That's a bit of an awkward question to answer, considering you've given no information to go on.
What's rating are your batteries ? Are they in good condition? Is the Alternator good & Charging properly ?
Will the equipment be used with engine running, not running or both ?

Need Input ;):)

Well obviously I knew that, of course there are many things we'd have to test. Such as the furniture's ability to correctly support recumbent electricians, the beer pumps ability to supply liquid at the correct flow rate & temperature etc :D

Hahaha lol, it's for what you guys might know as the reggae bus in Barbados.

Its a bus that we are now reburishing Haven't purchase the batteries as yet, so can't give the ratings for the battery.
Alternator will be serviced.
Equipment will be used with the engine running.
No it does not have the can bus system.

Well prety straight forward then , as long as the batteries are of decent capacity , and the equimpment wont be used when the vehicle is standing for long periods with them in use , they should be ok.
Bit like leaving the sidelights and interior lighting on when engine stopped to simplify it.

You'll be looking at pulling somewhere around 8or9amps, maybe a bit more depending on how efficient the chargers are.

Now whether your cars alternator has sufficient capacity to provide that will depend on what your current alternator can supply and how much load is on it at the moment.
If you try and run that off your current car accessories socket you'll probably blow the fuse. Personally I would run a new circuit with fuse ect. But remember your dealing with modifications to your vehicle which may affect insurance ect.

Reply to Can 18 Usbs work on 24 volts system in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net