Discuss Can 440VAC cause arc burns? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I got electrocuted from a small industrial control transformer about 0.150kVA at 440V. I wanted to test if it was working and plugged it into a UPS 120VAC 300W just as safety to run at lower current(mostly an explosion in case I accidently shorted any leads if its on mains outlet due to large current). I was careless didn't wear safety gloves or any protection and my left arm accidently touched the 440V output when the transformer was powered from the UPS and it was the nastiest shock I've ever got. My hand just went numb and was kinda paralysed for few minutes and the portion where my fingers had touched there was two charred spots, kinda burned smell. I saw a small blue-violet-pinkish arc at the two tips of my finger. So, is it the arc flash that caused the burn or is it the current through the fingers that caused some heating that caused the burn? Was lucky it wasn't the mains or else I wouldn't be typing this now.
Thanks in advance. :)

Any residual damage to skin or nerves in that hand? As nothing went across your chest and was just the arm hand area then you wouldn't need a heart trace ECG but be aware of this if you didn't get checked out and feel bad at any point.
You're blessed so be careful from now on.
Separate issue but similar - was changing six new lights for my neighbour and having a general chat, she told me she'd had a funny turn and had to go to the hospital some time in February. Got talking some more and she'd told me that she'd got an electric shock arm to arm in December (2 months previous) when trying to change the halogen style lamp without realising it wasn't switch to off. Two and two together, she probably had a bit of heart damage from the shock which may have caused the funny turn. She hadn't thought of it when she went for the checkup and subsequent ECG.
'Let's be careful out there'

I don't know about 440v ac but very high voltage can cook your arm right through.I remember watching a video at college about a guy who stupidly climbed a pylon tower.As he got near the wires the electricity jumped over to him.He put his arm up and the electricity went through his palm and out through his elbow.He survived the initial shock but the video we watched showed his arm over a few days and the whole lower half of his arm started to decay.Eventually he had to have his arm amputated.
Personally i would get your injury checked out asap just to make sure the same doesn't happen to you.(Much lower voltage so might be ok?):fearful:

from experience i find when you get a really good shock you end up with a metallic taste in your mouth.
the story on this one
i was altering the wiring in a kitchen for one of my friends and had switched of and lockedoff the mcbs of the circuits i was working on and had confirmed no potential
so picture this brand new ck cable sheers just out packet cutting through 10mm t&e on a 50a mcb with hand on metal part. one loud bang and flash with molten metal going all over the place with 1 confused sparky holding on to now a set of handles. went to consumer unit to see if i had made a mistake and found my mates 18yo son had removed the locks and was holding the mcbs on as his xbox had stopped working. i then filled him in and waited for his dad to get home and didnt have to wait long when his son had told him i had blackend his eyes he wasnt happy but when he found out what happened he then gave him a few slaps destroyed his xbox and appologised to me
moral of story
you cant prepare for a muppet with an xbox

from experience i find when you get a really good shock you end up with a metallic taste in your mouth.
the story on this one
i was altering the wiring in a kitchen for one of my friends and had switched of and lockedoff the mcbs of the circuits i was working on and had confirmed no potential
so picture this brand new ck cable sheers just out packet cutting through 10mm t&e on a 50a mcb with hand on metal part. one loud bang and flash with molten metal going all over the place with 1 confused sparky holding on to now a set of handles. went to consumer unit to see if i had made a mistake and found my mates 18yo son had removed the locks and was holding the mcbs on as his xbox had stopped working. i then filled him in and waited for his dad to get home and didnt have to wait long when his son had told him i had blackend his eyes he wasnt happy but when he found out what happened he then gave him a few slaps destroyed his xbox and appologised to me
moral of story
Martin, did you ask the 'client' permission to isolate? Or did it go in one ear and out of the other! Glad you survived - sorry about the shears.

the story on this one
moral of story
If you locked off the devices how did this half wit get them back on.

Locks easily twist off - it's whether the others in the house are mature enough to realise that its potential manslaughter if they mess with them. Not surprised the kid had a couple of black eyes.

What? You think he locked them in the on position? Is that what you're saying?

A couple of sobering tales here - I am glad we are still here to talk about it. After a similar incident I started to remove the fuse and take it with me if there was any doubt.

Reply to Can 440VAC cause arc burns? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net