Discuss Can a maintenance spark transfer to installation work? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello people,

I’m 17 currently in an apprenticeship with a company doing maintenance work which I’m enjoying, just wondering is it possible to later on in life transfer to installation work or is it once you have either a maintenance/installation qualification that’s all you can do. I seem to be getting different answers from everyone.

Thank you

I’m doing an apprenticeship but my college course is an electrical maintenance one I believe even though it says installation on my contract
Does the course have a number, and is it a City and Guilds course, apologies for all the questions.

Personally I do not see how a spark can maintain without understanding how to install.

I guess that depends on if he is maintaining electrical installations or not.

OP, you won’t have the skill set to transfer but smart people are hard to find so you could find a company who would be prepared to coach you a little.

Good luck.

Last edited:

OP, you won’t have the skill to transfer but smart people are hard to find so you could find a company who would be prepared to coach you a little.

Good luck.
Yep good call LeeH

I see nothing harry
This is the course they placed me on. But I’ve now been told it’s a electrical maintenance course which involves a different module, I don’t mind the maintenance but I would prefer once I’m qualified to be doing installation work

9F55F00D-43FC-4382-BBCB-D96735A7ECA0.jpeg

I see nothing harry
This is the course they placed me on. But I’ve now been told it’s a electrical maintenance course which involves a different module, I don’t mind the maintenance but I would prefer once I’m qualified to be doing installation work

OP, you won’t have the skill set to transfer but smart people are hard to find so you could find a company who would be prepared to coach you a little.

Good luck.
Hello,

I am maintaining electrical systems but a lot of this just involves changing lamps and light fittings over so I’m not sure I would really have the transferable skills, but at the same time I would probably struggle trying to find an apprenticeship with an installation conpany

Hello,

I am maintaining electrical systems but a lot of this just involves changing lamps and light fittings over so I’m not sure I would really have the transferable skills, but at the same time I would probably struggle trying to find an apprenticeship with an installation conpany
Have you thought of going the Domestic Installer's route, not sure what they are, I sure some of the younger members will be able to explain the courses, I believe one of the Forums Sponsors is a training establishment you could always ask them.

Have you thought of going the Domestic Installer's route, not sure what they are, I sure some of the younger members will be able to explain the courses, I believe one of the Forums Sponsors is a training establishment you could always ask them.
Domestic Installer. That's just a Electrical Trainee course.

Stick with the apprenticeship, he has 4 years to pick up the skills. Of course the apprentice will start off changing light bulbs, you couldn't trust him with anything else.

I remember my first week involved swapping 6ft tubes. After a month I had graduated to changing end caps on fluorescent fittings.

Reply to Can a maintenance spark transfer to installation work? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net