Discuss Can anyone reccomend a decent PoE CCTV system? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ime looking for some reccomendations for a PoE CCTV system with 4 cameras.
I have been looking at a few systems which are all similar but vary rather significantly in price so just looking for opinions and ideas.

First one is the Swann (Most expensive) NVR4-7082 with NHD-806 cameras.

Secondly I was looking at the Annke systems: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Weath...=UTF8&qid=1432227307&sr=8-3&keywords=poe+cctv

And I also looked at the Zmodo system which the only drawback I can see is a lack of HDMI output.

Any help appreciated :)

You have ask for PoE ip cameras, this system is a bit ott for a house, you would be better off with HD same quality as ip

Ime just thinking Ease of install Tazz.
Only one cable to get to each camera and no need to get additional sockets etc like the normal BNC connected cameras.
Looking to install with minimal damage to the decor ;)

Ime just thinking Ease of install Tazz.
Only one cable to get to each camera and no need to get additional sockets etc like the normal BNC connected cameras.
Looking to install with minimal damage to the decor ;)

"Hello Tiny Spark",

I have Swann DVR`s and a combination of Swann wired Cameras and Sentient Cameras at my Home - the Cameras are each wired to the DVR`s with just one cable which carries the Video signal and the Power [12 volts from a small transformer at the DVR end of the cable].

The cables are terminated with BNC connectors to connect to the Cameras and DVR`s - But also have the Power connections at each end - one to connect to the Camera lead and one to connect to the Transformer at the DVR end.

If You are going to buy the DVR and 4 Cameras separately and use these BNC & Power CCTV cables You would need to buy a `4 Way` / `4 cables into one` lead to connect the Power leads from the 4 Cameras to the Transformer cable - but if You buy a DVR & 4 Camera Kit it should obviously include that.

As You may have already seen Maplin sell a variety of CCTV Kits - that is where I bought my Swann CCTV DVR & Camera Kits and the separate Sentient Super Night Vision Cameras.

I initially bought one Swann DVR and 4 Camera Kit - then I later added a Swann DVR and 2 Camera Kit and 2 x Sentient 35 Metre `Super Night Vision` [105 Infra Red LED`s] Cameras to `upgrade` the CCTV system to cover every part of the exterior of my Home and also my Car and Van.

The Swann Cameras with those kits are pretty good although as I am sure You know they do not produce `TV quality` Video - the Sentient Cameras that I have do produce a better / `Good` Video picture - even on a 50" TV - and the Sentient `Super Night Vision` Cameras also produce a better Night Vision picture / recording than the Swann cameras.

Obviously I cannot know the Video quality of other models of Swann and Sentient CCTV Cameras - i.e. those available now.

I have just glanced at the CCTV Kits section on the Maplin website - they have some DVR & 4 Camera Kits for about £300 - £350 - here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/c/cctv-and-security/cctv-kits?page=1&sort=&productsPerPage=

I have had my CCTV system for about 6 Years now - the only malfunction was that one of the Sentient Super Night Vision cameras had some condensation / water penetration into the Infra Red LED / Lens housing - luckily this happened just inside the 12 Month guarantee period and Maplin just replaced it with exactly the same model of Camera - that has lasted over 5 Years in the same position on my House without any water penetration problem.

Before getting these CCTV Kits etc. I had an `inexpensive` CCTV DVR and one Camera just `watching` my Car - the Car was vandalised on a Sunday night - the DVR had malfunctioned 2 days earlier on the Friday so I did not have a recording of what happened ! !

I had intended to replace the DVR on the Monday [I did] when I could get to a Maplin store - the vandalism happened the night before !

Like yourself I have been informed on here that Swann / Sentient CCTV products are `DIY CCTV systems` which obviously I accept - BUT these CCTV components have served Me well enough for over 6 Years.

I hope that this message may be of some help - Good Luck in getting a decent CCTV system for your Home.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Chris that was very helpful :)

Regarding the transformer for the single cameras could you elaborate on that for me as ive seen no mention of them?

All the BNC cameras ive installed in the past had to have there own transformers hence why I was looking at the PoE systems.

The 3 main types of camera, Analogue, ip & hd.....Analogue & hd cameras use rg59 coax with shotgun power cables power from a 12v/24v psu. Ip cameras require a PoE network switcher, which is usually part of a buildings Lan network system.....so to fit ip cameras, you will need a PoE switcher, and a good knowledge of ip address settings.
Analogue are usually low definition, 300tvl to 700tvl, the higher tvl the better. IP & hd are high definition 1080 x 720 plus x24 zoom, so picture quality for evidence is excellent. I would recommend installing a hd in your situation, running coax with integral power cables. And again System Q will supply weather trade or not, If you run you own company then there is no problem

Thanks for the reply Chris that was very helpful :)

Regarding the transformer for the single cameras could you elaborate on that for me as ive seen no mention of them?

All the BNC cameras ive installed in the past had to have there own transformers hence why I was looking at the PoE systems.

"Hello again Tiny Spark",

With a 4 Camera and DVR Kit should come just one Plug in Transformer [Transformer built into plug unit] which has a lead coming from it - in the Kit should be the `4 Way into one` cable connector / `splitter` [please excuse my lack of correct terminology] - that plugs into the Transformer lead - and the Power lead from each CCTV Camera cable plugs into each of these `4 Way` sockets.

From Memory if you buy CCTV Cameras separately from Maplin there should be a combined Video and Power cable included and a Transformer - this is because you might just want to connect the CCTV Camera to a TV and plug in the Transformer - just to be able to view the Camera picture without recording it.

If You wanted to do this you would probably need to buy a BNC to Component adaptor or lead to connect the Camera BNC terminated cable to the component socket on a TV - However I think that Sentient CCTV Cameras may not have BNC connectors [?] - I think that they used to have Component plugs and that I had to buy Component TO BNC adaptors to connect the cables to the DVR`s - it would be a bit awkward for Me to check that as my DVR`s are now built into a Unit.

It would definitely be worth checking this as I bought my Sentient Cameras over 6 Years ago - they might now have changed the camera cables to fall in line with other manufacturers - i.e. terminated with BNC connectors - ?

I hope that this is helpful - don`t hesitate to ask Me anything else that I might be able to help with - although I am definitely a `DIY CCTV Installer`.

EDIT: By the way most of the Swann CCTV DVR`s can be configured to view the CCTV over the Internet - I have not bothered with that as I don`t have any need for a Smart Phone - I could use a Laptop or a Tablet to connect to my Home`s CCTV DVR`s - although I am not often carrying one of those about.

It might be handy while away from Home / on Holiday - but I would not take a Laptop or Tablet with Me if going abroad.

Reading the instructions on how to set this up it did seem quite complicated regarding setting the IP Address etc. - I think that I also remember something about `Port Forwarding` which also seemed quite complicated as I think it meant having to involve the Internet provider to obtain settings - ?

But I think that if I were actually following the instructions step by step I would be able to achieve the Set up.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Can anyone reccomend a decent PoE CCTV system? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock