Discuss Can courses / training be written off against Self Employed Tax / earnings? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

norm

Hello, I'm new here...i've read a few posts and found them to be very useful already..thanks for that

I've tried searching for an answer to this but couldn't find anything.....can courses / training fees be written off against self employed earnings?

Thanks

Norm

Hi Norm. As a self employed person, you can claim the cost of courses, exams and books etc. if you are already qualified and are adding to your knowlwdge. You can't claim for courses that you need to have to do the job you are self employed as. Hope that makes sense.

cheers, yes that does makes sense...........shame really but i suppose if it was possible it would be widely open to abuse.

Hi Norm. As a self employed person, you can claim the cost of courses, exams and books etc. if you are already qualified and are adding to your knowlwdge. You can't claim for courses that you need to have to do the job you are self employed as. Hope that makes sense.

Im certainly not disagreeing with you but, if one has to update their knowledge via a 17th update course then this surely can be claimed.

Lets put it this way, i will be :D

claim the lot mate the higher people do if you know what i mean:rolleyes: i know a taxi driver bit different but still self employed he claimed all costs he paid out to do the job put it all in will soon find out i would:D:D:D

is it the vat or the full cost of the course, also what about nic yearly charge I am also newly self employed

You'd claim the lot, it's a business expense and you're entitled to it. If you're VAT registered then you'd claim the VAT back first then put the remainder against your earnings (unless you're on the flat rate scheme). Put everything through then at worst they can disallow something. If you don't even try then it's lost for good. For something as simple as a course for work it would have to be allowed. Being self employed's not just about what you make, it's about what you can save! While on a flight a while ago I bought Richard Branson's auto biography as it was a long flight and it was half price. That went through the books of course as it's a business self help book ;) Soon you'll catch on pretty much everything apart from groceries can have a purpose for your work and in our trades you can break a lot of customers household items you then feel it's right to replace:) Get a good accountant behind you and the taxman will stay away if they have a good reputation, is worth paying a bit for what they can save you.

Reply to Can courses / training be written off against Self Employed Tax / earnings? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net