Discuss Can DECC keep the FiTs scheme open? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TedM

My analysis of data recently published by DECC and OFGEM shows that the spend for currently installed PV systems will run to around £450 million in the current year (April 2012 - March 2013).

This is against DECC's adjusted 'budget' for FiTs of £235 million and doesn't include any allowance for new systems being added over and above whatever was installed as at 31st March.

How will DECC react to this once they figure out what has happened? Will they be able to find another £200 million plus down the back of the sofa?

This is the breakdown:

kWhTariff payments
kW rangeTIC kWYear totalyear total
0-4 (pre 3/12)797,356717,620,4000.47337,281,588
0-4 (post 3/12)49,26644,339,4000.22610,020,704
4-10 (pre 3/12)51,07045,963,0000.41218,936,756
4-10 (post 3/12)2,0291,826,1000.328598,961
10-50 (pre 3/12)148,985134,086,5000.34546,259,842
10-50 (post 3/12)10,6609,594,0000.1521,458,288
50-1007,3536,617,7000.3452,283,107
100-2508,3327,498,8000.3222,414,614
>250 (pre 8/11)101,89791,707,3000.32229,529,751
>250 (post 8/11)349314,1000.08927,955
Total1,177,2971,059,567,300448,811,565

(Tariffs include 50% deemed export for <10kW systems only)

Will this generate the start of the final solar rush to install before July 1st?

Can the CRC budget be used to offset the excess?

Isn't there still a good chance that the Office For National Statistics could rule that as FITs is not part of Govt spending it should not be subject to the budget/levy control framework anyway? This is how I understand the ruling went in Germany based on EU law. I also seem to remember that their meeting to decide this was to be some time in April.

DECC proposed 3 trigger levels for the various possible tariffs from 1st July. These all relate to the capacity installed between 3rd March and the end of April 2012.

A. Less than 150 MW - 16.5p
B. 150 to 200 MW - 15.7p
C. Over 200 MW - 13.6p

Installations from 3rd March to 1st April are at the 62 MW level so well under the lowest trigger point, but OFGEM data for >50kW systems does lag so there may be more installed capacity waiting to be registered.

Ted
Are you not being a little pessimistic basing your calculations on 900kW Hrs production per kW installed. Is this not higher than the figures generally used?

Not trying to split hairs here as the figures do beg several questions. We could yet be subject to yet further Government by cock up.

DECC proposed 3 trigger levels for the various possible tariffs from 1st July. These all relate to the capacity installed between 3rd March and the end of April 2012.

A. Less than 150 MW - 16.5p
B. 150 to 200 MW - 15.7p
C. Over 200 MW - 13.6p

Installations from 3rd March to 1st April are at the 62 MW level so well under the lowest trigger point, but OFGEM data for >50kW systems does lag so there may be more installed capacity waiting to be registered.

When I was registering systems on the MCS database it did look like in March that things had slowed down to about 2-3,000 installs a week. Therefore I am confident that less than 150 MW will be installed before the end of April and therefore a rate of 16.5p wouild be introduced from July 1st 2012 which I think most companies will be able to cope with relatively easily. I am not at all keen on another reduction in October though as after July I think the industry needs a good 6 months at the new feed in tariff level before any reduction, obviously if prices of PV do drop further then the tariff has to be reduced further but I would be more keen on another reduction in December rather than October.

Ian-LS;501661 therefore a rate of 16.5p wouild be introduced from July 1st 2012 which I think most companies will be able to cope with relatively easily. [/QUOTE said:
Not sure what your definition of "easily" is it's difficult enough at 21p and my discussions with wholesalers don't look too promising about reduced prices in July. I'm not sure we can survive the 16.5p cut - we want to maintain the quality of installation.

I agree about the timescale though, one of the points I made when I responded to the consultation - along with the difficulties with D rating in off gas grid areas. None of this meets my definition of easily :)

ok at 16.5p it reduces a 4 kWp quote I have just done from 10.8% to 9% and adds one 1-1.5 years to the payback. This is with Hyundai panels and SMA Sunny Boy inverter so still getting a very good return imo

Admittidly its not ideal but still think at 16.5p the rate will still give good returns for domestic installations.

a point to note on this being that the lower the FIT rate drops, the greater the proportion of the payback is made up by the offset electricity side of things, and to a lesser extent the export payments.

So I can well envisage it becoming far more the case that it will make financial sense for high daytime electricity users, but not so much for lower daytime energy users, particularly if electricity prices rise again.

I'm hoping they'll take notice of the consultation and at least leave this reduction until October, as I think the industry needs to have 6 solid months of stability to get ourselves properly sorted out again after the last 7 months of utter chaos.

I'm also really annoyed that they've moved domestic RHI back by 6 months again, as I was working on the basis that the solar water heating side of things would pick up over the next few months to take some of the pressure off the solar PV side to cover all our running costs. Luckily this happened just before I actually took on a plumber in anticipation of that side of things building up, and before we spent money on getting accredited for heat pumps etc. Stupid thing is that my solar water heating training ticket runs out in October next year, which will be 5 years since I trained in it in anticipation of RHI...

ok at 16.5p it reduces a 4 kWp quote I have just done from 10.8% to 9% and adds one 1-1.5 years to the payback.

Does the 10.8/9% take into account the cost of the system and replacement inverter? After all once it's installed you can't get it out of the bank again. I can't get my payback to anything like that - I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Does the 10.8/9% take into account the cost of the system and replacement inverter? After all once it's installed you can't get it out of the bank again. I can't get my payback to anything like that - I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

It takes into account the cost of the system yes. We include inverter replacement costs in year 15 so it is not included in the ROI as this is based on year 1 income. Its based on PV GIS data, 40 % of the PV being used within the house as he is retired at 14.4p/kWh. I'm not going to give away exactly how much the installation was but the cost was less than £9,000.

Ted
Are you not being a little pessimistic basing your calculations on 900kW Hrs production per kW installed. Is this not higher than the figures generally used?

Not trying to split hairs here as the figures do beg several questions. We could yet be subject to yet further Government by cock up.

The SAP figure is 850 kWh/kWp/yr which is based on average insolation for the north of England and is widely recognised as being too low with most owners reporting actual generation that beats their predicted figures.

I have some very rough figures which suggest that actual average generation for all PV systems in the first year of FiTs was over 1000 kWh/kWp. This is a part of my FiTs model that I still need to spend some time on. FiTs payments are reported by OFGEM as a lump sum so I have to find a way of spreading that across the different FiTs technologies. My present method is based purely on TIC which I know isn't good enough. But PV is such a large part of FiTs that I believe the error is small.

As a reality check the 212 UK PV systems registered with BDPV website have an average of 1109 kWh/kWp/yr. If applied to all UK systems that would represent an extra £100 million a year in FiT payments.

So I think 900 kWh/kWp/yr is arguably on the low side.

I agree.

As I've mentioned a few times - and supported by evidence of German power prices declining due to solar production - it would be prudent to assume that electricity prices rise in-line with inflation, to take the middle ground between rises or falls.

So.....

£9500 for a 4kWp system.
3500kWh per year is realistic for part-shaded South, or for SouthEast or SouthWest - which covers a lot ofmaxium-size installations.

43p FiT-eligible
£1650 FiT and export tariff.
£200 bill savings (40% utilisation)
£380 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £1470 = 15.5% plus inflation on top, making probably 18.5% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

21p FiT-eligible
£800 FiT and export tariff.
£200 bill savings (40% of generation used in-house)
£380 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £620 = 6.5% plus inflation on top, making probably 9.5% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

16.5p FiT-eligible
£650 FiT and export tariff.
£200 bill savings (40% utilisation)
£380 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £470 = 5% plus inflation on top, making probably 8% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

For a 2.5kW installation (£6500) (2200kWh annual production):

43p FiT-eligible
£1000 FiT and export tariff.
£130 bill savings (40% utilisation)
£260 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £870 = 13.5% plus inflation on top, making probably 16.5% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

21p FiT-eligible
£500 FiT and export tariff.
£130 bill savings (40% of generation used in-house)
£260 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £370 = 5.5% plus inflation on top, making probably 8.5% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

16.5p FiT-eligible
£400 FiT and export tariff.
£130 bill savings (40% utilisation)
£260 depreciation.
Annual "profit": £270 = 4% plus inflation on top, making probably 7% if inflation hits the bank's target of 3%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid thing is that my solar water heating training ticket runs out in October next year, which will be 5 years since I trained in it in anticipation of RHI...

Gavin A..... what training did you do for this? i want to get ready for the RHI. Thanks

I agree.

As I've mentioned a few times - and supported by evidence of German power prices declining due to solar production - it would be prudent to assume that electricity prices rise in-line with inflation, to take the middle ground between rises or falls.
German domestic electricity prices for the last 3 years are

2010 | 0.228
2011 | 0.238 | 4.3% rise
2012 | 0.253 | 6.3% rise
[source]

the data you refer to relates to spot prices on the wholesale market only, consumer prices include the cost of the feed in tariff payments for all that solar generation, plus everything else.

The price rises involved in the UK electricity market over the next few years are largely dominated by gas price rises as the North sea gas fields are in rapid decline (25% reduction in output last year) and must be replaced with far more expensive imported LNG, which has to be bought on the world market competing against every other country with an LNG terminal. Gas now makes up around 50% of the UK generation mix, and much of the rest of it is increasingly coming from renewables sources, which for the foreseeable future are going to be more expensive than the current average generation prices.

electricity prices have gone up by something along the lines of 9% a year over the last 6-7 years since the north sea gas started declining, and I see no reason at all to think that this rate is going to reduce in the next few years.

Reply to Can DECC keep the FiTs scheme open? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock