Discuss Can I connect car alternator directly to the invertor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

orgspirit

Hi, please help!
I want to make wind turbine with car alternator and put it on my caravan. Can I connect alternator directly to the invertor? I want to make my heater work from it. Or between alternator and invertor has to be something in between? Please advice.
Thanks a lot!

you'll need to ensure that your alternator is geared to the wind turbine so as the alternator runs at 1500 -2000 revs. other than that, just give it a try.

you'll need to ensure that your alternator is geared to the wind turbine so as the alternator runs at 1500 -2000 revs. other than that, just give it a try.
So I dont need to link anything in between alternator and inverter right? I have one wire called B+ and "123" numbered wires coming out of alternator (all together 4 wires). Where I have to link them? As inverter has got only 2 wires? Thanks a lot!

I think we need a bit more information and photos to help you. Car alternators can provide between 70 and 160 Amps or more when driven by the engine. My experience of alternators used to charge batteries via a commercial direct drive fan and alternator
produces something like 5 Amps in a fair breeze. Assuming no losses that is about 70 Watts of power which in my opinion is insufficient to heat very much - Think of how much heat a 60Watt light bulb produces.

There is insufficient information to know exactly what you want to do. I am guessing you are talking about feeding a 12 to 240 volt inverter to power a mains heater. If this is the case forget using a car alternator connected to a wind powered fan to heat your caravan.

The connections coming out of the alternator are something else. There are normally 2 field windings brought out of a car alternator which connect to a voltage regulator to provide a constant 13.8/14V, often the alternator has the regulator built in. B+ connection usually connects to battery positive. Other wires can be used for voltage sensing from the battery to the inbuilt regulator.

I would seriously do some research on the size of blades you would require to produce the output power you require. If this is a static arrangement and you have a large wind turbine then please come back to us with more information.

Also the alternator would have to be self exciting.
Some are , but as said in the above post research and more info is needed.

Thank you for your answers. Lets say I have stable rpm 2000

I have BOSCH Alternator:
Manufacturer part number LRB00493
Manufacturer LUCAS ELECTRICAL
EAN number 2220118298500
Alternator Charge Current [A]:90
Voltage [V]:12

Where I have to connect these wires to make output 12v dc in order to connect to inverter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did google this and could find several diagrams. The 3 wires will be the 2 field windings and the indicator. I think you will need to provide a battery with a 33ohm resistor to excite the field initially. I looks as though it may require a separate voltage regulator also.
I believe there is an auto electrics forum on here and I suspect you may get more results asking this question there.

Would it not make more sense to use a car battery? For the alternator direct connection to work as described (assuming you have enough Amp output) then the alternator would have to rotate at a constant rpm to produce a constant rate of power. I'd be more tempted to connect the invertor to a battery and try and use the wind turbine/alternator to charge the battery. This way you are not relying on the alternator to produce a continuous out put.?

That is what I would do to be honest.
If the caravan is a static I would consider it only by charging a battery bank, remember no battery no reserve power, no wind nothing at all . The batteries will also be charging when the heater is not required.
If it is a touring van, think of the extra weight you are lugging ,and the fuel premium , the storage and assembly every time you set up and knock down.

A car battery wouldn't be suitable, they are built to give a very high output over a short amount of time (initial engine turnover). It will rapidly fail if it's under a half decent load constantly, even if it's being charged at the same time.

A leisure battery or similar would be more suitable.

Solar would be a more efficient way over a car alternator though.

Yes , for a static I was meaning a bank of leisure batteries.
I was also thinking if the overall cost would justify it.

Yes , for a static I was meaning a bank of leisure batteries.
I was also thinking if the overall cost would justify it.

I'd just read someone mentioning car batteries earlier on.

An no, I highly doubt it would be cost effective. Initial outlay on batteries, then maintenance as they only last a finite amount of time (a lot less if they aren't charged properly).

If it really was cost effective, everyone would be doing it. There would be a market for ready made kits.

I find it odd that people say using a alternator as a generator is great for wind or water power , but someone wants to use it in a caravan or rv and it's a bad idea, I've taken 2 alternators both y configuration and made one a motor and one a generator I run 2 100 watt solar panels to a battery then thru a switch ( like a dimmer switch,) to control the speed of the mother which is attached to the generator by a belt the power from that goes to a trans former to put out 120 volts ac 60hz cleanly to a small circuit panel to breakers and like in a home run my rv 's electrical system (it is it's electrical system running a fridge , tv, lights, microwave, everything I adjust the mother speed when I need more power or less power, I made both alternators brushless for better performance and so far so good it's been a couple of months and all I've done is added a couple of fans to keep everything cool which in turn has made the performance even better
, So if anyone has any helpful hint I'm always wanting more info on things, and fyi both alternators where 160 amp s 12 volt when I converted them , I don't say go do what I did but I tryed it out of curiosity and it's working for me, good luck to all and be safe and smart with a touch of inventiveness it s what got people here from there .

Reply to Can I connect car alternator directly to the invertor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net