Discuss Can I fit a plastic CU in a shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m installing power to a shed where there’s a good chance the roof leaks. I can fit an IP65 plastic weathertight CU in place of a metal clad one right? It’s going to be installed in the furthest corner from the entrance.

Hi - if the shed is on residential property, then I think it’s got to be metal. For what it’s worth, I have used a BG IP65 metal CU for this type of location.

0228363F-2F1E-4628-8DC5-79D9D641BD8E.jpeg

The requirement is all domestic building attached or nearby.

Doesn't say how far away nearby is however.

Fit metal have done with it I'd say.
*Edit missed the leaky roof part but that should go without saying*

It’s only a minor leak Andy But I get what you’re saying. Thanks Wilko, my first thought was metal only but then I saw some plastic weather tight options on TLC and it got me wondering?

Hi guys I’m installing power to a shed where there’s a good chance the roof leaks. I can fit an IP65 plastic weathertight CU in place of a metal clad one right? It’s going to be installed in the furthest corner from the entrance.
Yes you can, no you shouldn't especially as there's good and reasonably priced metal ones available.

DT1991 it’s about 15m away. I’m a little confused where plastic would still be installed? Or is it a case of the wholesalers trying to get rid of old stock?

Plastic can be installed inside a non combustible cabinet in a domestic installation but it's much easier in the real world to fit metal. Or a commercial installation.

DT1991 it’s about 15m away. I’m a little confused where plastic would still be installed? Or is it a case of the wholesalers trying to get rid of old stock?
The requirement only applies to domestic so a plastic board could be installed in any other installation such as agricultural for example.
In this case if the shed is 15m away from the dwelling, so the risk of fire spread is minimal, and you feel an insulated IP board would be preferable and justified, I would have no issue with doing that and putting it as a departure on the EIC with an explanation/justification.
In a damp situation a metal board will always corrode in my experience,whatever the IP rating.

They are still trying to sell me plastic ones too. The BG option from wilko is a good one, I used one and it was of decent quality, unlike the rest of the BG rubbish

Just a little note regarding insurance, probably not directly relevant to this post but worth thinking about.
Some insurance companies may specify a minimum distance of combustible items stored next to a dwelling. The reason I mention this is because a friend of mine had a fire in his shed and it caused some damage to his house. The insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the repairs to his house because the wooden shed (combustible item) was less than 8mtrs away from the house!
Check the small print on your house insurance!

Reply to Can I fit a plastic CU in a shed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net