Discuss Can I join L1 and L2 together in a chandelier? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Katie

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am replacing a ceiling rose with a 5-bulb chandelier. There are 3 wires coming out of the ceiling (red, black and earth) but the new chandelier has four terminals (L1, L2, earth and N). Three bulbs are linked to L1 and two to L2.

Does this suggest it can be controlled with two separate switches? I only have one switch. Do I simply put a wire between the L1 and L2 terminals so that all five lights can be turned on at once?

Many thanks!

One if probably for a switch live and one for a permanent live. Show us a picture, we can probably tell you which one to connect to

I have seen this before, a 6 lamp chandelier that was originally wired with two switchways. Alternate lamps were used for the different switchways. I assumed this was an old method to control light levels before dimmer switches.

It can be the only explanation Andy, seen it on huge fittings but not one so small.

Hi folks,

I am replacing a ceiling rose with a 5-bulb chandelier. There are 3 wires coming out of the ceiling (red, black and earth) but the new chandelier has four terminals (L1, L2, earth and N). Three bulbs are linked to L1 and two to L2.

Does this suggest it can be controlled with two separate switches? I only have one switch. Do I simply put a wire between the L1 and L2 terminals so that all five lights can be turned on at once?

Many thanks!
Yes you can.

Reply to Can I join L1 and L2 together in a chandelier? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net