Discuss can I power a camera from the doorbell circuit ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnjo

Hello, I want to put a camera on my front door somewhere, and I notice the only power I can see is the feed for the doorbell. Can I hook up a camera to this and if so how? I'm thinking a wifi camera, the one I have here takes DC5V2A but probably will buy a new one. let me kn0ow if you can help, thanks

Hello, I want to put a camera on my front door somewhere, and I notice the only power I can see is the feed for the doorbell. Can I hook up a camera to this and if so how? I'm thinking a wifi camera, the one I have here takes DC5V2A but probably will buy a new one. let me kn0ow if you can help, thanks
I have one on my front door powered by battery, hole drilled though door, lens on the outside, camera and push button on the inside, plug and play job £49 from The Orange shed

My advice would be no because the camera (whether it's 5V, 12V or whatever) is going to want a nice clean smoothed supply. I think it's highly unlikely a doorbell transformer will be clean or regulated enough.

A few possible problems here.
1) Is the doorbell just a momentary switch? If so then you may not actually have power available.
2) is the voltage the same?
3) is there enough capacity to feed the camera?
4) The regulation/smoothing of the DC voltage, as per Sparkychick's post.

Well, the bit of wire where the bell connects ...
can I power a camera from the doorbell circuit ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I reckon the OP is thinking about the wired bell push ! :rolleyes:
yeah I think its the bell push wire, haha !

whatever that is ...

Your camera needs a positive and a negative, like any low voltage DC powered stuff does. All you have there is a postive feeding your switch, and then a switched positive coming back. There is no negative (aka 0V) to complete the circuit. Does that make sense?

Reply to can I power a camera from the doorbell circuit ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock