Discuss Can i sign a pir? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

David Electrics

Hello all, first post!

I passed my adult trainee course at the start of this year and now working for myself (I have worked with electrics for 7 years though) I have the chance of doing some domestic and commercial PIR's. I have my 17th edition inspection and testing (BS7671) and i have public liability insurance of ÂŁ2M.

Am i good to go for signing of PIR's to cover insurance but not building warrants?

Also anyone know of any good up to date PIR's that i can download as the company want to see a copy of what sheets i will be using.

Any help would be very greatfull.

David

The generally accepted course is C&G 2391 to prove competence. There is, however, no formal requirement for such. Could you prove competence in a court of law is the need arose?

The generally accepted course is C&G 2391 to prove competence. There is, however, no formal requirement for such. Could you prove competence in a court of law is the need arose?

Yes i recon i could. The last company i worked for done alot of PIR's so i have a fairly good idea of whats involved and the requirements. what about the insurance side of it?

professional indemnity insurance of ÂŁ250,000 is advisable. this can be an add on to your PL insurance.

Last edited:
professional indemnity insurance of ÂŁ250,000 is advisable. this can be an add on to your PL insurance.
What sort of event would the professional indemnity insurance cover? Can anyone give a few examples and has anyone ever claimed on their PI insurance as a result of doing a PIR?

Basdically, if you say an installation is satisfactory, and then it turns out that it isn't, you should be covered.
Conversly, if you say it's unsatisfactory, and then someone shows that it is, you should also be covered.

As said professional indemnity insurance and although no formal qualifications required if you can get the work its your decision whether or not to take the PIR's soon to be EICR's but as said i wouldnt do them without 2391-10 soon to be changed for a new 3 part qual for new candidates and you will get more PIR's with this as most of the customers who i work for wont give you the work without it and most want NIC as its their insurance company who require it ! so best to get the test/inspection qual asap.
Good luck !

Hello all, first post!

I passed my adult trainee course at the start of this year and now working for myself (I have worked with electrics for 7 years though) I have the chance of doing some domestic and commercial PIR's. I have my 17th edition inspection and testing (BS7671) and i have public liability insurance of ÂŁ2M.

Am i good to go for signing of PIR's to cover insurance but not building warrants?

Also anyone know of any good up to date PIR's that i can download as the company want to see a copy of what sheets i will be using.

Any help would be very greatfull.

David

Do you mean City & Guilds 2382? If so, this is just a multiple choice regulations exam and NOT a testing qualification...

Our main business activity is periodic inspection & testing and while there is no absolute requirement for 2391-10, can you imagine the opening words in a courtroom if the brown stuff ever hit the extract?

"Is it true to say that you have no formal qualification in electrical testing & inspecting?"

Competency is a whole mixture of criteria from experience, vocabulary, terminology and formal qualifications and while PI insurance will cover any legal and compensation fees, it will not keep you out of court and anywhere that a bad verdict might lead to.....

Do you mean City & Guilds 2382? If so, this is just a multiple choice regulations exam and NOT a testing qualification...

Our main business activity is periodic inspection & testing and while there is no absolute requirement for 2391-10, can you imagine the opening words in a courtroom if the brown stuff ever hit the extract?

"Is it true to say that you have no formal qualification in electrical testing & inspecting?"

Competency is a whole mixture of criteria from experience, vocabulary, terminology and formal qualifications and while PI insurance will cover any legal and compensation fees, it will not keep you out of court and anywhere that a bad verdict might lead to.....

no i have passed my 17th edition inspection and testing as part of my adult trainee course. Testing and inspecting is built into all apprentiships and adult trainee courses now. Well it is here in scotland anyway.

Iv just looked through my insurance papers and it says under PUBLIC LIABILITY AND PRODUCTS LIABILITY SECTION.

IS COVER REQUIRED - YES

WHAT LIMIT OF INDEMNITY DO YOU REQUIRE - ÂŁ2,000,000

is this what i need or is it still something else ontop of that?

no i have passed my 17th edition inspection and testing as part of my adult trainee course. Testing and inspecting is built into all apprentiships and adult trainee courses now. Well it is here in scotland anyway.

Yes, it is here but believe me, it's nothing like the practical and full written exams of a 2391-10 and your module will only cover basic initial verification.

You need Professional Indemnity, PL is totally different.

Yes, it is here but believe me, it's nothing like the practical and full written exams of a 2391-10 and your module will only cover basic initial verification.

You need Professional Indemnity, PL is totally different.

Thats fine i will update my insurance. You are saying that it only covers me for initial verification but is that not what i need for doing PIR's?

Sorry if i am being a bit stupid here but i dont get it.

Thats fine i will update my insurance. You are saying that it only covers me for initial verification but is that not what i need for doing PIR's?

Sorry if i am being a bit stupid here but i dont get it.

The only qualification that looks specifically at PIRs is 2391-10, all others including the 2392 concentrate on initial verification-a very different animal.

On PIRs a very good knowledge of BS7671:2008 is required as well as very good experience of all types of systems that you will be giving your judgement on as a competent person.

Please don't think I'm making any assessment of your competency here, I'm only giving you the facts as an inspector who comes across the utter rubbish masquerading as a periodic inspection report on a very regular basis....

The only qualification that looks specifically at PIRs is 2391-10, all others including the 2392 concentrate on initial verification-a very different animal.

On PIRs a very good knowledge of BS7671:2008 is required as well as very good experience of all types of systems that you will be giving your judgement on as a competent person.

Please don't think I'm making any assessment of your competency here, I'm only giving you the facts as an inspector who comes across the utter rubbish masquerading as a periodic inspection report on a very regular basis....

you've read some of mine then IQ. LOL.

you've read some of mine then IQ. LOL.

Lol, I think yours would be immaculate Tel!

It's true though isn't it, how many times do you pick up a PIR and actually get the impression that a good standard of testing & inspection was carried out?

I'm not talking about matters of opinion like defect codes etc. I'm on about characteristics of the supply and sometimes even the supply type!

I was sent a PIR to comment on last night with a recorded Ze on a TN-C-S system of 0.97 Ohms, the knock-on effect being that many circuits exceeded the maximum Zs. The 'inspector' did not once mention the 0.35 Ohm recommended maximum but went on to say that 'upgrading the 16mm tails will rectify the high Zs problems' Idiot.

i followed 1 last month where he's put a code 1 for undersized tails, but completely missed the burnt and dangerous connection on the main switch incoming L. ( wylex rewireable board )

Reply to Can i sign a pir? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net