Discuss Can I use an rcbo in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Proper Job

Hi all
Today i was asked to have a look at an isolator that has been vandalised.The job was at a motorway service station. It has a walkway linking one station from one side of the motorway to the other which contains 12 lights along the walk way/bridge. The fused isolated is half way up one side of the ramp and has had the fuse and fuse gaurd removed ,I think it is a wilex model. We later found another isolater in a column that feeds the walkway isolater.I have switched this off hence making the walkway isolater safe.
I am assuming that the walkway isolater was put there as a type off local isolation, but I don't think it is suitable for the chosen location.
The client wants me to get these lights working ASAP. But I feel I should test the circuit before doing so which would mean opening all the lights and disconnecting what ever may be before the isotaters,and firstly finding the supply.
my question , on the walk way, remove the wilex isolater, fit a junction box housing an rcbo. Test Zs on armoured supplying walk way. Do r1 r2 test on out going lighting cable and limited insulation resistance test .
The whole things looks a mess and would prefer to stay away from it would be grateful for your help

i would assume that RCd protection is not reqiuerd in this situation. if you don't feel confident, then either get someone in to help you or walk away.

is that a spark from bristol, or a spark with bristols? the difference could amount to a couple of points.

To answer you scottysparks they are fluorescent fittings and I have asked the question wether or not it has deffinetly been vandalised or not but am waiting for an answer.

scottysparky???????? I am a Scotsman and alays will be and will be belting out Flower of Scotland on Sat when you go running in your "sweet Charriots":fuk2:

regards

SCOTsparky up near Glasgow:joker:

Before you do anything check if this so-called vandalised switch fuse has been taken out of service for maintenance purposes. Though i can't think why anyone would take the fuse carrier away, as well as the fuse!!!! lol!!

If the isolator in the post feeding the walkway is also a switch fuse, just replace the damaged switch fuse with a lockable rotary isolator!!

As Mike says above.

Have walked away before ( not often) . But trust yerz gut.

especially if yours is expanding into a panis like mine, more to trust. Alot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
scottysparky???????? I am a Scotsman and alays will be and will be belting out Flower of Scotland on Sat when you go running in your "sweet Charriots":fuk2:

regards

SCOTsparky up near Glasgow:joker:

how many international rugby tournaments have scotland won again ?

go choke on yer haggis while Manu Tuilagi stomps on your back line.

;-D

how many international rugby tournaments have scotland won again ?

go choke on yer haggis while Manu Tuilagi stomps on your back line.

;-D

Well,they didn't win the last six nations
Oh and the English and Irish couldn't cope with it either,that leaves just one team,now I wonder who :clap:

Well,they didn't win the last six nations
Oh and the English and Irish couldn't cope with it either,that leaves just one team,now I wonder who :clap:

you would like to step into my dedicated rugby thread in chit chat to discuss this further ?

*polishes knuckle-duster while humming swing low.
;-)

Valid point about the isolater but I am dubious if I do that and energies the circuit how do I know that what ever is protecting that circuit will trip out in the correct time.ie meet the required Zs times. If i took a Zs reading from the isolater to be replaced and found a high reading would it not be best to put an rcbo in a jb to ensure it meets the Zs times and provides further safety.
or is this over kill.

Reply to Can I use an rcbo in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net