Discuss can I use HO5-VV-F in PVC conduit underground? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
someone said i cant use fine stranded cable underground in PVC conduit.
the "F" in HO5-VV-F stands for fine stranded.
I cant see any 17th ed regulation why it cant be used underground in PVC conduit. what do you think?

Last edited:
You probably can use this cable, given that the mechanical protection is adequate!! Not a cable i would use for a buried cable installation, SWA is far superior in this respect....

There is no actual regulation against using it, I think it is more looked on as bad practice, as the very method of pulling the cable through the ducting/conduit could put such a stress on individual strands as to snap them inside the insulation, and therefore reducing it\s current carrying capacity.

Personally i wouldn't be using PVC conduit underground, no matter what cable is in it. PVC conduit isn't made for it, I would imagine it offer zero protection against anything other than some one digging up weeds with a hand trowel.

Do it properly and select a method which is meant to be buried.

What is this cable to be used for?
Is it carrying signals (eg for an alarm) at elv, or is it an lv (230V) cable for supply of power to a remote device?

If elv or signal, then I guess you'd be ok doing as you describe.
If it's 230V then I'd agree that you should use swa.

Reply to can I use HO5-VV-F in PVC conduit underground? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm a DIY'er looking to build a 6x8 shed in my backyard in Colorado. I'm installing a gravel pad first, with 4 concrete Sonotube...
Replies
Views
Hi All. What is the best/preferred method when connecting 20mm conduit to a back box of a socket on an outside wall ? I am connecting a BG...
Replies
Views
I've been called in to complete a job started by someone else and I just wanted to ask the following: Basically it's to provide power to a garage...
Replies
Views
Hope this all makes as much sense as i can make of it and my "problem" can get sorted via some guru on here... Just a quick background on myself...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock