Discuss Can Mason Jar lamp shades overheat? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've liked the Mason jar /Kilner Jar lamp shades a while & they are extremely easy to make, especially after I saw one at £50 & the jars are £2-£4! It simply needs a Lamp adaptor lid switched for the inside removable disc of the 2 part preserving jar lid. So these pics show what I'm on about. My question is, is this type of lampshade safe? As a preserves jar it is pretty much air tight so could bulbs overheat? Is there a certain type of bulb to avoid for this type of use given there's so Many different types of bulbs today?! Shape wise I think candle bulb best but here because I want to do this safely with guidance from those who know
Many thanks

And negligible heat from the LED filament style lamp like the one above. Good suggestion above with the holes in the lid to equalise any pressure caused by any heat (again, negligible).
Good result though. Remember the weight, good fixings so weight not on flex.

The lamp pictured is a tungsten filament, capable of producing a good amount of heat. I have not yet found an LED decorative filament lamp that produces the same orange light colour even when dimmed.

The lamp pictured is a tungsten filament, capable of producing a good amount of heat. I have not yet found an LED decorative filament lamp that produces the same orange light colour even when dimmed.

I got some LED one's from YESSS a few months ago that where the same kind of orange and style as the tungsten filament pictured above

I'll look into that as I have an "industrial vintage" shop fit to do soon.
It was for a little rustic style cafe - which by chance would have it I'm working in tomorrow - If remember and get a chance I'll see if I can get the brand name and a couple of photo's of them

Thanks very much for that. I'll grab a sample and place it next to a tungsten lamp and see which one the customer prefers.

Can you recall the price of them. They don't pop up on the Yesss website.

+ 1 for LED. if drilling holes in the top, make sure they're big enough to allow flies in. give it some character. :mad:
Did an EICR the other day at a bed and breakfast and the shower light was rather dull so took the clip off the down lighter and it was full of little wasps - wouldn't let any light through, found it funny so a pleasure to remedy! Would like to think that the person in that room would have noticed on return.

Thanks very much for that. I'll grab a sample and place it next to a tungsten lamp and see which one the customer prefers.

Can you recall the price of them. They don't pop up on the Yesss website.
Sorry no. Doubt they will be cheap as the non LED version is far from cheap.

Yikes, internet prices for that lamp seem to be £12-£16 !
I can get decorative tungsten for £5-£8
Better to speak to wholesalers really lol. Those have been running 60+ hours a week from either December or January (was speaking to Owner and neither of us sure just when), no failures to date out of around 40 lamps. They own another premises nearby and we changed those at the same time (only a handful of them there) as they had to replace them often.

As a feature light they may be ok, but at 1800K they are far too Orange for me, it's almost like a street light has invaded the place lol.

I've liked the Mason jar /Kilner Jar lamp shades a while & they are extremely easy to make, especially after I saw one at £50 & the jars are £2-£4! It simply needs a Lamp adaptor lid switched for the inside removable disc of the 2 part preserving jar lid. So these pics show what I'm on about. My question is, is this type of lampshade safe? As a preserves jar it is pretty much air tight so could bulbs overheat? Is there a certain type of bulb to avoid for this type of use given there's so Many different types of bulbs today?! Shape wise I think candle bulb best but here because I want to do this safely with guidance from those who know
Many thanks

I'd ditch the standard pendant and get a brass lampholder, some decorative braided flex as well. It will cost a little more but will look a lot better. Holes for airflow a must whether you use LED or Filament imho

Reply to Can Mason Jar lamp shades overheat? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net