Discuss Can Plug Sockets for Dishwasher and Washing Machine be Placed in Under-sink Cupboard? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Novice12

Hello,

The layout for my kitchen, which is not installed yet, is such that there is a free-standing dishwasher and washing machine on either side of a cupboard which has the kitchen sink over it.

My builder who recently re-wired my house has installed the wiring so that the plug sockets for these two appliances will be inside this under-sink cupboard as opposed to being on the wall behind each appliance.

Is this safe? To me is sounds dangerous to have plug sockets under a sink like this.

I have attached a diagram to help illustrate the situation.

Thanks

diagramPlugSocketPlacement.png

This isn't usual and infinitely better than having the sockets behind the appliances.

What does your builder say on the matter, or should I say the builders spark?

Yes it's okay, its something I do on a regular basis. Consideration should be given as to where the sockets are mounted, in terms of accidental leaks and if fixed to the floor unit, to a substation wood panel. Sometimes my customers also prefer an additional means of isolation above the work top in the form of a double pole switch, I would normally recommend this option. It would also be the only option in a new build.

I can understand your concern with leaking pipes/waste, but the same could be said about the possibility or potential in the rest of your property.

Placing a socket behind an appliance, makes it difficult for maintenance purposes (changing the plug top fuse etc), and you may find there will be insufficient room to push back the appliance, with socket & plug top behind it. What did you agree with your builder before work began? And I hope it was an electrician who did the alterations, not the builder!

Ps pipped to the post

Thanks @Murdoch and @Midwest

It was my builder's Electrician who did the work but I am dealing with my builder so haven't spoken to the Electrician.

There was no agreement before he began. He wired it up like this before even seeing the plans for the kitchen and I had thought he would ask me for them before he went onto this stage but he just did it like this without asking for them.

My builder said much the same as you two re. can't have sockets behind as not supposed to have to move the appliance to turn it off.

I just have always been told about not mixing water and electricity and can't ever recall seeing plug sockets under sinks/next to water pipes etc. so I was concerned but from both of your replies it seems this is a safe/standard practice.

Thanks

Thanks @Murdoch and @Midwest

It was my builder's Electrician who did the work but I am dealing with my builder so haven't spoken to the Electrician.

There was no agreement before he began. He wired it up like this before even seeing the plans for the kitchen and I had thought he would ask me for them before he went onto this stage but he just did it like this without asking for them.

My builder said much the same as you two re. can't have sockets behind as not supposed to have to move the appliance to turn it off.

I just have always been told about not mixing water and electricity and can't ever recall seeing plug sockets under sinks/next to water pipes etc. so I was concerned but from both of your replies it seems this is a safe/standard practice.

Thanks

It is within the regulations which is the important bit. The regulations ask for environmental effects likely to be encountered to be considered. As a sink is not designed to leak then it is not really a consideration.
Personally I have seen many leaking appliances that have affected sockets directly behind the appliances, but not so many affected under sinks.

came acroos a CU mounted directly below the kitchen sink in a 1970 built house. fitted like that as new. 46 hears on, no dasmage to CU.

It is within the regulations which is the important bit. The regulations ask for environmental effects likely to be encountered to be considered. As a sink is not designed to leak then it is not really a consideration.
Personally I have seen many leaking appliances that have affected sockets directly behind the appliances, but not so many affected under sinks.
Thanks, that's good to know.

It is my preferred option to kit plug sockets in cupboards as I am of the opinion that it is more pleasing on the eye than having switches or fused connections above the worktop or behind the appliances where room may be tight, specially in smaller kitchens. I always discuss the option of putting switches above the worktop with the client though and let them make the choice.

Double post?

Dunno whats going on here. First double post then the one I posted in disappears?

Anyhow, agree with you rolyberkin. But sometimes DP are advantages with elderly people for example, and easier to isolate the washing machine when it starts going off on one, and keeps tripping the RCD. Its what the customer prefers I suppose.

Last edited:
Back to the op, make a point of meeting the spark and getting his card so you know to find him later....

I always prefer to meet the client early on and always leave them my card.
Don't think I will get the chance to meet the Electrician now but my builder says he has the certificate from him so I assume his details will be on that, is that correct?

Yes all the electricians details will be on the electrical installation certificate, just to add to the other posts there's nothing wrong with fitting a socket outlet in a base unit under the sink , think of an electric shower for example where water and electricity are in very close proximity. I tend to fit such sockets on the side panels and near the front of the cupboard to make accessibility easier and reduce the chance of them being accidentally switched off by bits and pieces rammed into the cupboard.

Don't think I will get the chance to meet the Electrician now but my builder says he has the certificate from him so I assume his details will be on that, is that correct?

Hum.... I looked at your previous thread and is this socket the one where the cable was run behind the skirting board?

and if so, its in the wall, and as the kitchen is not yet fitted, does the builder plan to leave the back off the the base unit? That's going to look pants!

Hum.... I looked at your previous thread and is this socket the one where the cable was run behind the skirting board?

and if so, its in the wall, and as the kitchen is not yet fitted, does the builder plan to leave the back off the the base unit? That's going to look pants!
Hi, he's left a loop of wire which he says will be for a double socket to be placed in the back of the base unit, so think this is OK. Thanks for spotting this.

Hi, he's left a loop of wire which he says will be for a double socket to be placed in the back of the base unit, so think this is OK. Thanks for spotting this.

In which case the electrics are NOT complete and therefore I would question the fact the builder says he has the "certificate(s)"

In which case the electrics are NOT complete and therefore I would question the fact the builder says he has the "certificate(s)"
Ah, he did say that because the wire has been left in a loop he was able to get certificate for it and had it been cut he wouldn't.

I suppose that whoever I get to install the kitchen will have to cut the loop, attach it to plug socket and mount in the cupboard. Would it then just be a case of the Electrician who does this self-certifying that all is OK with his work and because the work done previously to this has certificate all is OK?

The circuit needs testing and certifying after ALL work on it is complete. Daz

The circuit needs testing and certifying after ALL work on it is complete. Daz
I think his thinking is that as is a loop it could technically be left like that and so even though need aforementioned plug socket/s added, I suppose at later date now, it is complete in a way and so certificate has been done. Does this make sense/is a technical way of getting round this?

I think his thinking is that as is a loop it could technically be left like that and so even though need aforementioned plug socket/s added, I suppose at later date now, it is complete in a way and so certificate has been done. Does this make sense/is a technical way of getting round this?
He could, but then the new electrician would need to complete a minor works cert to add the new socket.

PS but a lot of electricians would just put in the new socket on that loop, probably with no cert ;)

Last edited:

Reply to Can Plug Sockets for Dishwasher and Washing Machine be Placed in Under-sink Cupboard? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net