Discuss Can Someone Help? Melted Plug? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fiona Lester

Hi I am hoping someone can help. I have a dryer that was plugged into an extension - a single plug to outlet wire - not one of those you plug loads into. About 6 months ago, there was a pop... dryer went off, the extension plug had melted where it was plugged into the main outlet. So we thought it was a dodgy extension. Bought another... this has been fine since... but today, smell of burning and upon investigation it has melted the new plug... again, where it is plugged into the outlet- so hot it cracked the plate too. Can someone tell me why this is happening? THANK YOU! :-D

hard to say without seeing it but it could be that you have a dodgy wall socket. Well, obviously you do now as it has cracked but it could have been the socket that caused the problem.

personally I would prefer to see dryers wired into a fused connection units, not via plugs (and also not by extension leads...), they are much more reliable that a plug/socket. So this might the time to get a spark in to change the damaged socket plus add a connection unit where the dryer is?

as above. ^^^^ . never use extension leads on appliances that have heaters in them. generally, this problem is caused by some resistance in the plug/socket connection. resistance causes heat which causes more resistance which causes more heat ......... finally it melts.

Thank you.. we used two different sockets, so unlikely to be that? Do you think the extension is the issue? We have no plug sockets near the dryer so it might need to be moved so we can do without an extension. I am just concerned there is a problem with the appliance plug itself and don't want to risk using it if it could set on fire or something!! Thanks for your help :)

if the plug has been subjected to overheating, it will need replacing. as for the "no socket near the dryer", i suggest you get a sparks in to fit a socket that the dryer lead will reach.

The trouble is that plugs and sockets, while theoretically rated to 13A, will start to get a higher resistance as they get older and continuous high currents (like a dryer used a lot) can make this worse. As the resistance goes up it starts getting hot so it gets worse, etc etc as Tel said.

I could be that all your sockets are old (or just not great quality), it could be the plug on the extension lead (did you use the same sort both times). I guess it could be the dryer but this is less likely as an overload caused by the dryer should take out the plug fuse before anything melts.

Like I said, it is very had to tell without seeing it (and testing the sockets etc) so I really would recommend getting a spark to have a look and advise properly - it shouldn't cost too much for a bit of peace of mind.

Where abouts in the country are you? There might be somewhere here who is local and could help.....

EDIT: by the way, was it a hair dryer or a tumble dryer? I assumed a tumble dryer as a hair dryer should not take anywhere near the limit of a plug/socket.....

If you have overheating at an outlet for whatever reason,changing either the plug top or the socket front without changing both is not a good idea
Poor contact will be the result and its likely the new plug top or socket, whichever was changed,will soon overheat as well
This seems to be precisely what may have happened in your case

Burnt socket will ruin plug tops,burnt plug tops will ruin sockets

certainly do, mate. no baldies in our family.

If the same thing has happened using different sockets and different extension leads it would suggest the problem is with the hairdryer; I wouldn't usually expect an extension lead rated at 13A to cause any problems, unless it was a reel type extension which wasn't fully unwound, but as mentioned it would be better to either get a socket installed closer to where you need it, or dry your hair elsewhere so you can plug the dryer straight into the socket.
I wouldn't say there's any need to have it hardwired to the wall - I think that would be a bit inconvenient.

Just re-reading th OP's post
I have a dryer that was plugged into an extension - a single plug to outlet wire - not one of those you plug loads into.
and
We have no plug sockets near the dryer so it might need to be moved so we can do without an extension.

That suggests to me we're not talking about a hand held hair dryer. It could be anything from a tumble-dryer through sit under hair dryer, to a seed dryer on a farm. I also wonder if the "dryer" came with a plug originally?

So, Fiona, what sort of equipment are we talking about here?

Just re-reading th OP's post and .

That suggests to me we're not talking about a hand held hair dryer. It could be anything from a tumble-dryer through sit under hair dryer, to a seed dryer on a farm. I also wonder if the "dryer" came with a plug originally?

So, Fiona, what sort of equipment are we talking about here?
Ah, well spotted. For some reason I assumed it was a hairdryer. Maybe because a woman posted the question...
Yes, a tumble dryer would be more likely to cause problems if plugged into an extension lead.

Reply to Can Someone Help? Melted Plug? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net